This teriyaki chicken and rice bowl recipe uses store-bought sauces, toasted sesame seeds, and scallions for simple, delicious flavor. It’s the perfect easy dinner for busy weeknights!Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Let’s face it – it’s not always easy or convenient to make dinner from scratch. While we try to opt for homemade ingredients instead of store-bought items as much as possible, we still rely on time-savers like jarred pasta sauce or seasoning packets on busy days. But here’s a little secret we’ve learned: simple touches like toppings, garnishes, and even how you plate a dish can transform a “basic” dinner made with store-bought ingredients into a unique and delicious meal. And that’s exactly why we’re sharing this easy teriyaki chicken and rice bowl recipe with you!
With just two kinds of Kikkoman teriyaki sauce (a marinade and a triple ginger sauce), chicken, rice, sesame seeds, and scallions, you can have a takeout-style teriyaki chicken bowl on the dinner table in 45 minutes or less – 20 of which is simply marinating the chicken. And yes, while anyone can marinate chicken in a store-bought sauce and serve it with rice, what makes this recipe unique is the addition of toasted sesame seeds, sliced scallions, and triple ginger sauce.
Teriyaki Chicken & Rice Bowls Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make a simple takeout-style teriyaki chicken and rice bowl at home:
- Chicken breast or tenderloins
- White rice
- Kikkoman Original Teriyaki Marinade
- Sesame seeds
- Kikkoman Takumi Collection Teriyaki Sauce Triple Ginger
While you can use any store-bought teriyaki marinade, Kikkoman is our go-to for consistent, high-quality flavor when it comes to Asian cooking. However, we absolutely recommend using Kikkoman’s Takumi Collection triple ginger teriyaki sauce for this recipe! It’s a unique sauce with a thick, glaze-like consistency that’s perfect for drizzling over the chicken and rice before serving. The ginger flavor really comes through, which adds an extra zing to this recipe. No other ingredient can compare!
How To Make Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
You can easily make this teriyaki chicken and rice bowl recipe in 4 steps:
- Marinate the chicken in Kikkoman teriyaki marinade for 15 to 20 minutes, then grill over medium-high heat until cooked through, flipping every 3 minutes or so. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes, then slice into strips.
- Steam the white rice.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a frying pan over medium heat until golden, about 5 minutes or so. This brings out their lovely nutty flavor and adds some crunch to this dish.
- Plate the chicken on top of the rice, then drizzle with the triple ginger sauce. Top with toasted sesame seeds and sliced scallions, then serve immediately.
The simplicity of this recipe makes it so easy to prepare for dinner on busy weeknights, yet it’s far from boring! Just a touch of toasted sesame seeds and scallions, combined with the triple ginger sauce, adds a ton of flavor to a basic dish of grilled teriyaki chicken and rice. It’s the little things that really make this rice bowl recipe shine 🙂
Storing & Reheating Leftovers
You can store any leftover teriyaki chicken and rice in separate containers, or pre-assemble teriyaki chicken and rice bowls with the triple ginger sauce and sesame seeds for easy reheating in the microwave (just skip the scallions and add them on after heating!). Leftovers will stay good in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Why You’ll Love This Teriyaki Chicken Bowl Recipe
There are 4 reasons why we love this teriyaki chicken bowl recipe – and why we know you’ll love it, too:
- It’s super easy and convenient to make for dinner on busy nights
- The fluffy rice and tender chicken is flavorful and comforting, like your favorite takeout dish
- It’s a relatively light, high-protein meal – especially if you go heavier on the chicken and lighter on the rice
- The leftovers make a delicious and easy lunch the next day
With only 6 ingredients, minimal prep work, and about 20 minutes of actual hands-on cooking time, these teriyaki chicken and rice bowls are a no-brainer for busy weeknight dinners. Try the recipe below and don’t forget to rate, comment, and share if you love it! We can’t wait to hear what you think.
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Bowl
- Cast iron grill pan optional
- First, combine chicken breast and teriyaki marinade in a bowl and stir to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes. In the meantime, lightly grease and preheat a cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Next, bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in white rice, then cover and turn heat to low. Steam until the rice has absorbed all the water, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to the hot grill pan. Grill until cooked through completely, flipping over every 3 minutes, about 10 to 12 minutes total. Then transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In the meantime, toast sesame seeds in a small frying pan over medium heat until golden, about 5 to 7 minutes. Shake the pan every few minutes as they toast to make sure they heat evenly.
- Finally, slice the chicken into thin strips and plate on top of white rice. Drizzle with Takumi triple ginger teriyaki sauce and top with toasted sesame seeds and scallions. Serve immediately.