Make this fresh and healthy chicken and goat cheese sandwich with sun-dried tomatoes, caramelized onions, and arugula for a delicious lunch.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Summer may be over, but that doesn’t mean we’re ready to say goodbye to fresh and healthy lunches like this chicken and goat cheese sandwich with sun-dried tomatoes! Enjoy the flavors of summer all year long with this easy sandwich recipe and try to forget that it’s 40 degrees outside.
Chicken & Goat Cheese Sandwich Ingredients
You only need 6 simple ingredients to make this delicious chicken and goat cheese sandwich with sun-dried tomato spread:
- French baguette
- Sun dried tomatoes in oil
- Goat cheese
- Grilled chicken
- Caramelized onions
- Baby arugula
We recommend using a thin French baguette (like a rustic style loaf) for the right bread-to-filling ratio. You can make the grilled chicken ahead of time – we recommend using our zesty lemon chicken marinade – or use leftovers or store-bought to simplify your sandwich prep. The chicken can be cold, since this sandwich will get heated up in the oven.
The caramelized onions are a key ingredient in this flavorful sandwich. They add a little bit of sweetness to contrast the tangy goat cheese and another layer of texture to keep things interesting. Like the chicken, we recommend making them ahead of time, and using them straight from the fridge since you’ll heat the sandwich before serving.
If you’ve never made caramelized onions at home before, check out our step-by-step guide here on how to do it.
How To Make Our Chicken and Goat Cheese Sandwich With Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Once all of your ingredients are prepared, you can easily make this goat cheese chicken sandwich in just a few steps:
- First, slice the baguette into sections that are about 6 inches long. Then, slice each section in half horizontally to make your sandwich rolls.
- Next, make the sun-dried tomato goat cheese spread. Mince the sun-dried tomatoes and then add them to a bowl with some of their oil and the goat cheese. Stir to combine, until you have a smooth and spreadable consistency.
- Then, spread the tomato and goat cheese spread over the bottom halves of the sandwich rolls. Add a layer of sliced grilled chicken to each sandwich, followed by a serving of caramelized onions.
- Close the sandwiches, and bake in the oven at 325 degrees F for about 3 minutes, just to warm them through.
- Finally, open the sandwiches and top each with a handful of baby arugula. Serve immediately.
Make sure you don’t add too much oil to the goat cheese spread, so that it stays thick and creamy. We like to just scoop out the amount of tomatoes we’re using onto a cutting board so that a natural amount of oil comes with them, chop them up, and then scrape everything – including all the oil on the cutting board – into the bowl.
Keep an eye on your sandwiches as they warm in the oven. It should only take a few minutes for everything to heat through. You don’t want to leave them in there for long – otherwise, you’ll end up with crispy bread that’s tough to bite into. (Note: make sure you bake the sandwiches – don’t broil them! Broiling will crisp the top of the bread too much.)
These fresh and tangy goat cheese & chicken sandwiches make a great lunch or dinner, served with a side of your favorite chips or crackers. They’re an easy, healthy option that only takes a few minutes to make if you’ve got all the ingredients on hand, and they’re just so delicious!
Try our recipe for chicken and goat cheese sandwiches with sun-dried tomatoes and don’t forget to rate, comment, and share below if you love it. For more easy lunch ideas, check out all of our sandwich recipes here.
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
Chicken and Goat Cheese Sandwich With Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- ½ loaf rustic French baguette sliced into 6-inch long sections
- 4 ounces julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 4 ounces grilled chicken breast sliced
- 2 tablespoons caramelized onions
- 2 handfuls baby arugula
- First, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup. Slice the baguette pieces in half horizontally to create your sandwich rolls, and place them on the baking sheet.
- Next, make the sun-dried tomato goat cheese spread. Mince the sun-dried tomatoes and then add them to a bowl with the goat cheese, making sure to transfer most of the oil with the tomatoes. Stir to combine, until you have a smooth and spreadable consistency.
- Then, assemble the sandwiches. Spread the tomato and goat cheese spread over the bottom halves of the sandwich rolls. Add a layer of sliced grilled chicken to each sandwich, followed by a serving of caramelized onions. Close the sandwiches and bake in the oven for about 3 minutes, just enough to warm them through.
- Finally, open the sandwiches and top each with a handful of baby arugula. Close the sandwiches and serve immediately.