These vegetarian tostadas with refried black beans are an easy and healthy recipe you can make for dinner in less than 30 minutes.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Of all the vegetarian dishes we’ve made, this one may be the most surprisingly satisfying: vegetarian tostadas with refried black beans and avocado. Why is that? Because no way should a simple blend of cauliflower, peppers, and onion taste this good on top of a tostada.
But it does, thanks to a few of our favorite spices! Along with creamy refried beans, mashed avocado, and queso fresco all layered on top of a crunchy corn tostada, these vegetarian tostadas are one of the most delicious and satisfying healthy meals you can make.
So if you’ve ever wondered, can tostadas be healthy?, the answer is yes! These veggie tostadas are a feel-good meal you can enjoy for lunch or dinner whenever you want, without worrying about over-indulging. Plus, they’re vegetarian and gluten-free!
Vegetarian Tostada Recipe Ingredients
These healthy vegetarian tostadas are made with a spicy medley of vegetables, refried black beans, 3-ingredient guacamole (which we lovingly call “fake guac”), and queso fresco. It’s a surprisingly simple mix of ingredients that packs so much flavor and layers of texture into each tostada!
Here’s what you’ll need to make the spicy vegetable medley for these vegetarian tostadas:
- Green bell pepper
- Jalapeno peppers
- Yellow onion
- Vegetable oil
- Minced garlic
- Chili powder
- Ground red cayenne pepper
For the vegetarian tostada toppings, you’ll need:
- Refried black beans
- Lime juice
- Sea salt
- Queso fresco
And don’t forget the most important ingredient – corn tostadas! You can easily find these at the grocery store or make your own by frying corn tortillas in vegetable oil. Learn how to make homemade corn tostadas here.
How To Make Vegetarian Tostadas
You can make these easy veggie tostadas in only 3 steps – and less than 30 minutes! Here’s how to do it:
- Make the spicy vegetables. Heat vegetable oil in a large sauté pan, then add the cauliflower, bell pepper, jalapeno, onion, garlic, and spices and cook until softened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Prep the veggie tostada toppings. Warm the refried beans, crumble the queso fresco, and mash the avocado with lime juice and sea salt.
- Assemble the tostadas. Spread a layer of refried beans on each tostada, then top with a serving of vegetables, followed by a dollop of mashed avocado. Finish with crumbled queso fresco and serve immediately.
Use your intuition when cooking the vegetables. They should be slightly soft and smell delicious when they’re ready! You want to keep a little bit of that natural crunch in the peppers for added texture. Cook them too long, and they’ll end up soggy and lifeless on top of your tostadas.
Storing & Reheating Leftovers
You can store the vegetables for these tostadas in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the microwave for about 30 seconds per serving, or in a frying pan over medium-low heat until warm, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Why You’ll Love This Vegetable Tostada Recipe
These tostadas are the perfect way to shake up dinner time when you’re craving homemade Mexican food. When you can serve the toppings family-style and everyone can build their own tostada at the dinner table, it makes cooking 10x easier! Not to mention, the flavors and textures of these veggie tostadas are simply irresistible.
The chopped cauliflower adds substance and an additional dimension of texture to the sliced pepper and onion. The spices bring a delicious Mexican flair to otherwise plain vegetables. And the creamy refried beans and mashed avocado just melt in your mouth against the crunch of the tostada! These vegetarian tostadas are truly the best combination of textures – and so flavorful that you’ll forget you’re eating vegetables.
Try our vegetarian tostadas recipe and don’t forget to rate, comment, and share if you love it! For more delicious vegetarian dishes like this one, click here.
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Chicken Tinga Tostada Recipe
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
- Vegetarian Black Bean Southwest Sliders
- Mini Bean & Cheese Enchiladas
Like this recipe? Don’t forget to share it and follow us on Pinterest!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ head cauliflower chopped finely
- 2 medium green bell peppers sliced into 1-inch long strips
- 2 large jalapeno peppers sliced into 1-inch long strips
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp ground red cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 pinches salt
Vegetarian Tostada Toppings
- 15 oz canned refried black beans warmed
- 2 medium avocados
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 corn tostadas
- Queso fresco crumbled
- First, make the spicy veggies. Heat vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, then stir in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the cauliflower, bell pepper, jalapeno, and onion, then season with paprika, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and salt. Stir to combine and sauté until vegetables are slightly softened, about 10 to 15 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In the meantime, prepare the toppings:(1) Warm the refried black beans.(2) Combine the avocado in a small bowl with lime juice and salt and mash until smooth.(3) Crumble the queso fresco.
- Finally, assemble the tostadas. Spread a layer of refried beans on each tostada, then add 1 to 2 spoonfuls of the spicy veggies. Top with mashed avocado and crumbled queso fresco, and serve immediately.