This easy homemade Pico de Gallo recipe uses fresh, simple ingredients for bright and juicy flavor that tastes great with tortilla chips or tacos.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Chips and salsa has always been a go-to snack for us – it’s easy, tasty, and not totally unhealthy. Plus, a good salsa can be super refreshing on a hot summer day. But sometimes we crave something even fresher, juicier, and lighter than our favorite jarred salsa, especially when we have perfectly ripe tomatoes on hand. That’s when we turn to our easy, classic homemade Pico de Gallo recipe.
Our homemade Pico de Gallo recipe is super easy and only takes about 10 minutes to prepare, so it’s not much more work than opening a jar of salsa. And it’ll impress your family and friends at your next backyard cookout. What’s not to love?
We use only fresh ingredients to get the best flavor and the perfect juiciness out of our Pico de Gallo. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fresh Roma, plum, or vine tomatoes
- Yellow or red onion – yellow will produce a milder flavor, red will give it some tanginess
- Jalapeno pepper
- Garlic – we often cheat here and use jarred minced garlic because it’s quicker, cleaner, and tastes just as good as fresh garlic (in our opinion)
- Lime juice – squeezed from fresh limes for the most flavor
- Sea salt
The secret to this Pico de Gallo is really in the freshness of the ingredients; it’s easy to assemble once you’ve picked out your produce! Just dice up the tomato, onion, and jalapeno, add them to a bowl with garlic and lime juice, stir it all together and season with sea salt to taste. A simple recipe for a healthy, fresh snack served with tortilla chips.
How To Serve Pico De Gallo
Pico de Gallo isn’t just for scooping up with tortilla chips. You can also use it as a topping for tacos (like we do for our Shredded Chicken and Carne Asada Tacos), serve it as a side for burrito night, eat it with a quesadilla, or spoon it over a salad or burrito bowl! The possibilities are endless.
Try the recipe below and let us know your favorite way to enjoy Pico de Gallo in the comments!
Pico de Gallo
- 2 to 3 medium tomatoes Roma, plum, or vine
- ½ medium onion yellow or red
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Pinch sea salt
- Dice the tomatoes, yellow onion, and jalapeno. Combine in a medium bowl.
- Add lime juice, minced garlic, and sea salt to taste, then stir to combine.
- Serve fresh with tortilla chips for dipping or as a topping for tacos. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.