This giant breakfast burrito for two is stuffed with crispy potatoes, savory bacon, cheesy eggs, beans, pico de gallo, avocado, and hot sauce for tons of flavor in every bite.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Happy (almost) Fourth of July! As we head into the long weekend, we wanted to share a favorite breakfast recipe of ours that’ll satisfy a big appetite: a giant breakfast burrito with bacon, crispy potatoes, eggs, cheese, beans, guacamole, and pico de gallo. Warning, this burrito is large enough for two and may leave you feeling stuffed, even if you only eat half. But that’s why it’s the perfect hearty brunch to enjoy with friends and family over a holiday weekend!
Breakfast burritos come in all shapes and sizes. There are about a dozen different ways you can make them, from a classic combination of bacon-eggs-potatoes to a more burrito-inspired pairing of rice, beans, cheese, and meat. So we set out to create our version of the perfect breakfast burrito, complete with all the fixings. No surprise, our breakfast burrito is a monster-sized wrap stuffed with every ingredient you could imagine.
The perfect savory breakfast burrito for two.
What Goes In A Breakfast Burrito
There are 8 important components that go into making a classic breakfast burrito:
- Russet potato – You gotta have breakfast potatoes in a breakfast burrito! Cube a single potato, fry it in some vegetable oil, and season with salt and pepper before assembling your burrito.
- Bacon – Likewise, you can’t have a decadent breakfast burrito without the bacon. Chop up cooked bacon and add the crumbled pieces to your burrito so the flavor gets incorporated throughout.
- Eggs – Scrambled eggs are another necessary ingredient for a hearty breakfast! Melt some shredded cheese into them after cooking to get that ooey-gooey factor you know and love in traditional burritos.
- Pico de gallo – Fresh tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno transform this meal from a breakfast wrap into a breakfast burrito. Try our original pico de gallo recipe here for a punch of fresh flavor to counteract the salty bacon, potatoes, eggs and cheese.
- Avocado – Instead of guacamole, we opt for a simpler topping to brighten up our breakfast burrito. Mix lime juice and salt into mashed avocado for a creamy condiment you can dollop to your heart’s content.
- Refried black beans – Creamy, flavorful refried black beans take this breakfast to a whole new level. And, like the pico de gallo, truly make this a breakfast burrito and not just a wrap.
- Hot sauce – Who doesn’t love a drizzle of hot sauce in their burrito? We used this jalapeno-based roja sauce from our favorite local farm, but you can easily substitute with whatever your favorite is!
- Burrito-sized flour tortilla – You’ll need a large, sturdy flour tortilla to wrap this burrito up. We visited our local Vallarta supermarket for a pack of delicious, freshly made 14-inch flour tortillas. Seek out authentic, homemade tortillas for this recipe if you can!
How To Make A Breakfast Burrito
It’s not hard to make breakfast burritos, but it does take some patience. This giant breakfast burrito for two is enough food to keep you full all day long, though! Follow the steps below to prepare a classic breakfast burrito for Sunday brunch – and then collapse on the couch into a food coma for the rest of the day 🙂
- Fry the potatoes and bacon (or simply chop cooked bacon, if you prepared it ahead of time).
- Make scrambled eggs, melting in shredded Mexican-blend cheese towards the end of cooking.
- Prepare the pico de gallo and mashed avocado with lime juice and sea salt.
- Warm up canned refried black beans in the microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Warm a burrito-sized flour tortilla and then lay it on a sheet of aluminum foil (yes, you will need this to wrap your burrito!).
- Assemble the burrito: spread the refried beans across the tortilla, then add scrambled eggs, potatoes, hot sauce, bacon, pico de gallo, and mashed avocado in a line down the center of the tortilla.
- Wrap the burrito using two hands: fold opposite sides into the center (starting at the ends of your burrito filling), then roll to fold the other two sides in using your thumbs and pinky fingers to hold everything together.
- Quickly wrap the burrito up in foil to help hold it together.
- Transfer to a cutting board, slice in half and enjoy!
To get tons of flavor in every bite, layer your ingredients on top of one another rather than side by side. It might make it a little more difficult to wrap the burrito but it’s totally worth it! Each bite will be filled with the contrasting textures and flavors of crispy potatoes and bacon, cheesy eggs, fresh pico de gallo, and creamy avocado and beans. All these flavors come together for the most satisfying and incredibly delicious breakfast burrito you’ll ever eat – we promise.
In case you do have trouble wrapping the burrito (it’s a hefty one), have a second tortilla easily within reach. You can always double-wrap the burrito in case the first tortilla starts ripping. More importantly, remember to heat up the tortilla before assembling the burrito so that it’s soft and pliable – this will make folding much easier!
Why Are Breakfast Burritos So Good?
There are plenty of reasons why breakfast burritos are the best! But there are two reasons in particular why we think breakfast burritos are so great.
First, breakfast doesn’t have to be boring – and breakfast burritos are the perfect way to shake things up. You can still enjoy a savory breakfast of eggs, bacon, and potatoes on the weekend, but serve it in a whole new way with just a few extra ingredients and a flour tortilla. And although it may seem like extra work to prepare all the components of a good breakfast burrito, this recipe is a great opportunity to have fun with friends and family in the kitchen. Cooking is a great way to spend time with loved ones, so why not make a unique breakfast while you’re at it?
Second, who doesn’t love burritos? We’re certainly obsessed with them. Breakfast burritos are amazing because they allow us to eat one of our favorite foods – which is typically served for lunch or dinner – as breakfast. Sure, you can eat any food you like early in the morning and call it “breakfast.” But a breakfast burrito is a legitimate breakfast food, complete with bacon, potatoes, and eggs, and we’re not gonna complain about that!
Try the recipe below and find out for yourself why breakfast burritos are so delicious!
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Breakfast Scramble with Bacon, Eggs, and Potatoes
- Bacon Potato Egg & Cheese Breakfast Wrap
- California Burrito
Breakfast Burrito For Two
- Frying pans medium and large
- Aluminum foil
- 1 to 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small russet potato diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
Cheesy Scrambled Eggs
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- ⅓ cup shredded mexican-blend cheese
- First, prepare the breakfast potatoes. In a large frying pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add cubed potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook until crispy, turning over occasionally, about 20 minutes. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the cheesy scrambled eggs. Preheat a lightly greased frying pan over medium-low heat, then whisk together eggs and milk in a small bowl. Transfer eggs to the frying pan and cook until slightly firm on top, about 5 to 7 minutes, then scramble and cook until warmed through, about 2 to 3 more minutes. Lower heat and stir in shredded mexican-blend cheese until melted, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the remaining burrito fillings. Mash avocado in a small bowl and stir in lime juice and sea salt, then set aside. Warm refried beans in the microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then set aside. Warm the flour tortilla in the microwave between two sheets of dampened paper towels for about 30 seconds.
- Assemble the burrito. Lay down the tortilla on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Spread the refried beans over the tortilla, then top with scrambled eggs, potatoes, and a drizzle of roja hot sauce in a line down the center of the tortilla. Finally, top with chopped bacon, pico de gallo, and mashed avocado.
- Carefully fold the burrito using two hands. Fold opposite sides into the center, then use your pinky fingers to pinch the sides of the burrito in as you roll it over itself in the other direction. Quickly wrap with aluminum foil to hold everything together.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice the burrito in half with a large, sharp chef's knife. Serve immediately!