This burrito-like breakfast wrap stuffed with bacon, potatoes, eggs, and two kinds of cheese and finished with Frank’s Red Hot makes for a perfectly indulgent Sunday brunch.Jump to Recipe
We’ve been talking about creating a breakfast burrito for a while now and are proud to say it’s finally here!
We call this recipe our Bacon Potato Egg & Cheese Breakfast Wrap because it’s not technically what one might consider a “breakfast burrito.” It’s a basic wrap made with delicious, simple breakfast ingredients: crispy bacon, fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, melted cheddar and American cheeses, and Frank’s Red Hot.
This recipe was inspired by one of my all-time favorite breakfast wraps: The J-Dizzle (W)rap from Bill’s Luncheonette.
Located right down the street from where I grew up, Bill’s was the go-to spot for a tasty and hearty brunch. I probably went every other week during my senior year of high school, meeting up with friends for a good meal and some small-town gossip. And every single one of my memories of Bill’s includes the J-Dizzle: a monstrous burrito-sized wrap filled with fluffy eggs, gooey cheese, fried hash browns, crispy bacon, and loads of hot sauce.
I can’t remember the last time I ate one of those incredible breakfast wraps, but my years of trying to replicate the recipe at home have finally paid off! While it’s not exactly the same (because nothing could ever be as good as a true J-Dizzle), we’ve captured the gooey, cheesy, savory deliciousness of this breakfast wrap perfectly.
Here are a few important techniques for making the best homemade Bacon Potato Egg & Cheese Breakfast Wrap:
- Freshly fried crispy breakfast potatoes are a key component of this dish. They take a bit of patience since you’ll want to give them at least 30 minutes on the stove – without stirring them around too much – to fully crisp. Just let them sit in the oil and turn them over every once in a while to prevent burning, and they’ll come out perfectly.
- We use two kinds of cheeses to get ultimate cheese distribution within the wrap and to complement the Frank’s Red Hot! Layer the wraps with broken-up slices of American cheese and heat in the microwave to ensure the inside of your wrap is fully coated with delicious gooey cheese. Then melt some shredded cheddar into the scrambled eggs for extra flavor!
- If you can handle spice, don’t be afraid to go real heavy on the Frank’s. Like, every time we made this and thought we had put enough Frank’s in, we took a bite and thought, “huh, could use more Frank’s.” There are so many flavors in this breakfast wrap that it’s actually hard to go overboard on the hot sauce. (If you don’t like spice, just give the wrap a light drizzle of Frank’s for some flavor without the heat!)
Our breakfast wrap truly makes for a deliciously indulgent weekend brunch, especially when served with a side of bacon or extra fried potatoes! This meal will keep you full all day… and maybe make you want to take a nap right after eating. But hey, two meals in one is never a bad thing, especially on those lazy Sundays at home!
We hope you enjoy our Breakfast Wrap recipe – let us know what you think in the comments!
Bacon Potato Egg & Cheese Breakfast Wrap
- 1 to 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small russet potato
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 pieces bacon
- 3 eggs
- ½ tbsp milk
- ⅓ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 burrito-size wraps
- 4 slices yellow American cheese
- Frank’s Red Hot
- Peel and dice the potato. Heat enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering, then add the potatoes.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until crispy, about 30 minutes, turning potatoes over occasionally with a spatula.
- While the potatoes are cooking, crisp bacon in another skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Next, prepare the scrambled eggs. Whisk together eggs and milk in a small bowl, then transfer to a lightly greased skillet.
- Scramble eggs over medium-low heat until cooked through.
- Turn heat to low and add shredded cheddar cheese, mixing in thoroughly with the eggs to combine until melted, then remove from heat.
- Lay out each wrap on a microwave-safe plate. Layer 2 slices of American cheese onto each wrap, breaking the cheese slices into pieces as needed to cover the wraps evenly.
- Heat the wraps one at a time in the microwave for about 30 seconds, just enough to melt the cheese.
- Transfer half of the cooked eggs to each wrap. Add half of the breakfast potatoes, 2 slices of bacon, and a heavy drizzle of Frank’s Red Hot to each wrap.*
- Fold the wraps: start by tucking in two “ends,” then roll the wrap over itself to close. Secure with toothpicks and place wraps seam-side down on a plate to serve.