This fresh and flavorful breakfast tacos recipe comes together in 30 minutes or less for an easy weekend breakfast. It’s the perfect way to shake up your normal Sunday morning meal of eggs and bacon!Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
If you love tacos, chances are you’ve thought about eating them for breakfast. It’s not a crazy idea – tacos are delicious at any time of day! So to help satisfy your morning taco cravings, we’re sharing our fresh and flavorful Breakfast Tacos recipe featuring cheesy scrambled eggs, bacon, avocado, and pico de gallo.
This recipe is perfect for a Sunday morning when you have a little extra time on your hands but don’t want to put a ton of effort into making breakfast. It’s as easy as cooking up scrambled eggs and bacon – all you have to do to turn them into breakfast tacos is warm up the tortillas, whip up a quick batch of pico de gallo, and slice an avocado. You can even use store-bought pico de gallo if you want to make this recipe even easier!
While these breakfast tacos aren’t exactly “healthy” or “high-protein”, the eggs, bacon, and avocado do provide some protein and healthy fats. So if you typically enjoy eggs and bacon on a Sunday morning, these breakfast tacos are great for shaking up your routine! They’re a fresh and fun twist on a classic weekend breakfast that the whole family will enjoy.
Ingredients For Breakfast Tacos
While there are many ways to make breakfast tacos (see our section on variations below), our simple recipe has only 6 main ingredients:
- Flour tortillas
- Scrambled eggs
- Pico de gallo
We like to use 6-inch flour tortillas for breakfast tacos since they’re small enough to fold like a taco, yet large enough to hold all the scrambled eggs and toppings. At this size, two breakfast tacos is plenty for one person. Alternatively, you can opt for 4-inch tortillas and serve two or three breakfast tacos per person – just know they might get messy!
For the pico de gallo, we recommend making a fresh, homemade batch for a bright and juicy flavor. It’s the best topping for savory eggs and bacon! All you need for this is tomato, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice, and salt. But if you want to make this breakfast tacos recipe even easier, you can use store-bought pico de gallo instead. Make sure it’s freshly made and use it within a day of purchasing for the best flavor – the longer a batch of prepared pico de gallo sits, the more acidic it will start to taste.
Finally, choosing a ripe avocado is so important when it comes to making a good taco. How do you tell if an avocado is ripe? Gently apply pressure around the widest part of the avocado with your fingers – if the skin gives slightly, that means it’s ripe. Perfectly ripe avocado is super creamy and fresh, making it the perfect addition to your breakfast tacos.
How To Make A Breakfast Taco
To make a breakfast taco, you’ll need to prepare all of your fillings first. Then, warm the tortillas, assemble the tacos, and serve hot. If you time everything right, it’s easy to make a batch of these breakfast tacos for the whole family! Here are a few tips for success:
- Fry the bacon first, since this will take the longest. Alternatively, you can cook bacon up to a few days ahead of time and simply reheat it in a frying pan before adding it to your breakfast tacos.
- Next, prepare the pico de gallo and avocado. Dice tomato, red onion, and jalapeno and stir them together with lime juice and salt, then set aside. Slice an avocado in half, remove the pit, and then slice each half lengthwise in half again to end up with avocado quarters. Gently peel the skins off, then slice lengthwise into strips.
- Then, scramble the eggs and warm the tortillas. Whisk together eggs and milk in a bowl, then add to a greased frying pan and cook over medium-low heat. Let them sit untouched for a few minutes – during this time, you can prep the tortillas. Wrap tortillas between two sheets of aluminum foil and heat in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the tortillas warm, scramble the eggs. Once they’re cooked, lower the heat and stir in the cheese until it melts. Then remove the pan from the stove and prepare to assemble your breakfast tacos.
Here’s how to assemble your breakfast tacos:
- Spoon equal amounts of cheesy scrambled eggs in a line down the center of each tortilla.
- Break the bacon up into smaller chunks with your hands and sprinkle over the eggs.
- Top each taco with a few slices of avocado and a spoonful of pico de gallo.
- Optionally top your breakfast tacos with hot sauce or crema and serve immediately.
Pro tip: It helps the avocado stay in your breakfast taco if it’s nestled underneath the pico. Otherwise, it will slip right off the top as you try to take a bite!
Easy Breakfast Taco Variations
You might be wondering what else goes in a breakfast taco. The answer is pretty much anything you can think of! Tacos are a wonderful vehicle for loading up on your favorite breakfast foods, all wrapped up in delicious soft tortillas. Here are some ideas for variations on our breakfast tacos recipe:
- Substitute ground sausage or chorizo in our breakfast tacos recipe, instead of bacon
- Drizzle your breakfast tacos with your favorite sauce, like hot sauce, ranchero sauce, avocado crema, or spicy ranch
- Add fried breakfast potatoes or refried beans for additional savory flavor
- Omit the bacon from our recipe for vegetarian breakfast tacos, or substitute with a plant-based alternative like soyrizo
We like to view tacos as a blank canvas for the ingredients you love – meaning the possibilities are endless. So try our breakfast tacos recipe below and make it your own! Don’t forget to share with us on Instagram by tagging @candidcooksblog and #thecandidcooks so we can see your perfect breakfast taco 🙂
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Breakfast Burrito For Two
- Bacon Egg and Cheese Breakfast Quesadilla
- Breakfast Scramble
- Shredded Chicken Tacos
Breakfast Tacos Recipe
- 4 pieces bacon
- 1 medium vine tomato diced
- ¼ small red onion diced
- 1 small jalapeno diced
- ½ lime juiced
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 6-inch flour tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp milk
- ⅓ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado sliced
- First, cook the bacon in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Next, prepare the pico de gallo topping. Add diced tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime juice, and salt to a small bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wrap the tortillas between two sheets of aluminum foil, rolling in the edges tight to create a sealed foil packet. Warm them in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Next, prepare the scrambled eggs. Whisk together eggs and milk in a medium bowl, then pour into a lightly greased frying pan and cook over medium-low heat. Let them sit untouched until the bottom begins to solidify, about 4 to 5 minutes, before scrambling (this helps them stay fluffy). Gently scramble and cook through, another 3 to 4 minutes or so, then lower heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until it melts. Remove from heat.
- Slice the avocado into strips.
- Finally, assemble the breakfast tacos. Spoon equal amounts of scrambled eggs into a line down the center of each tortilla. Then, break up the bacon into small pieces and sprinkle on top of the eggs. Finally, top with sliced avocado, then a spoonful of pico de gallo.
- Serve tacos immediately with lime wedges and optional toppings such as hot sauce or crema. Enjoy!