This slow cooker recipe for chicken tortilla soup is ready in 6 hours and makes a big batch for easy meal prep and lazy weeknight dinners.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and with that, at least for my family, means Soup Night is too! I didn’t realize this wasn’t a normal thing until recently. But every year on the night before Thanksgiving, we get together with our extended family and friends to enjoy a large variety of soup and celebrate the holidays.
My favorite soup, and really the only soup that I enjoy, is my aunt’s chicken tortilla soup. It has always been a staple on Soup Night and I look forward to it every year. However, Nicole and I decided that it was time for chicken tortilla soup to be enjoyed more than just once a year so we created our own!
While I am still very much looking forward to Soup Night and enjoying some of my aunt’s chicken tortilla soup, our Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup has quickly become one of our go-to big batch meals for a week’s worth of work lunches.
This recipe is so easy, like most slow cooker meals, because the slow cooker does all the work for you!
Here’s how to make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup in only 5 steps:
- Dice onion and jalapenos
- Add ingredients to slow cooker
- Cook on high for 4 hours
- Remove and shred chicken, then add back to slow cooker
- Cook on low for 2 hours
We love slow cooker recipes because they make meal prep a breeze. This recipe makes about 6 servings of soup, and it’ll stay good in the fridge for a few days – or a few months if you freeze it. We like to use our Souper Cubes to easily freeze perfect portions that can be individually reheated later on.
Overall this recipe is pretty simple and basic as we didn’t want to stray too far from a classic. However we did add one special ingredient to make it stand out: Modelo Especial.
Generally a soup like this uses chicken broth as a base. Instead, we chose a Mexican beer to add a unique flavor that the chicken broth lacks. This takes an already delicious soup and spices it up with some extra fun and flavor!
So even though Soup Night on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving isn’t part of everyone’s holiday traditions (but maybe it should be!) we hope that you will enjoy this fun and flavorful slow cooker chicken tortilla soup. Whether it’s a family dinner, weekly meal prep, or your own Soup Night, nothing beats an easy classic like this.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 medium jalapenos diced
- 15 oz canned black beans drained
- 15 oz canned whole kernel corn drained
- 4 oz canned diced green chiles
- 15 oz canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 12 fl oz beer*
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 batch Taco Seasoning see ingredients below
- 1 lb chicken tenders raw
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground red cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Pinch salt
- Add diced onion, jalapenos, and canned ingredients to a slow cooker.
- Pour in beer and lime juice, then add Taco Seasoning and stir to combine.
- Add chicken, fully submerging.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and transfer to a cutting board. Shred with two forks, then return to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Serve hot, or let cool and package in an air-tight container for storage.*