You can make this spicy gnocchi with calabrian chili peppers in about 10 minutes! It’s the perfect easy weeknight dinner or date night dish, especially when you’re in need of a delicious, low-effort meal.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
If you’re obsessed with spicy food, we’ve got a new recipe for you to try ASAP: spicy calabrian chili gnocchi. It’s everything you love about traditional gnocchi (soft, pillowy, and melts in your mouth), but with a super spicy twist! Chopped calabrian chili peppers in oil bring the heat to this Italian dinner – and we cannot overstate how deliciously this ingredient pairs with gnocchi.
This spicy gnocchi is an easy recipe you can make for either a date night in or a busy weeknight dinner (bonus: it’s also vegetarian). It feels luxurious and fancy, but it only takes 10 minutes to cook and doesn’t even use that many ingredients. So it’s absolutely perfect for when you’re feeling extra, but you don’t want to put in extra effort!
Warning: this gnocchi is spicy. Like, your mouth will be on fire kind of spicy. If you’re not into that, then this recipe might not be for you. For a milder alternative, check out our tomato & goat cheese gnocchi or easy baked gnocchi recipes instead.
Spicy Calabrian Chili Gnocchi Ingredients
Even though it tastes (and looks) fancy, this gnocchi recipe isn’t complicated! You can make this simple spicy gnocchi with just a few basic ingredients:
- Olive oil (regular & extra virgin)
- Minced garlic
- Chopped calabrian chili peppers in oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Grated parmesan cheese
We recommend buying high-quality handmade gnocchi for this recipe, if you can find it at your local Italian market – it makes a difference! If you can’t find specialty gnocchi near you, the Delallo, Di Martino, or Nuovo Pasta brands are all great options you can typically find at the grocery store.
You’ll also want two types of olive oil for this recipe – one regular “cooking” olive oil, and a high-quality extra virgin olive oil. The cooking oil will be used to cook the garlic and chili peppers and lightly crisp the gnocchi, while the extra virgin olive oil is there to add flavor before plating.
How To Make Calabrian Chili Gnocchi
It’s almost too easy to make this spicy Italian dinner. All you need is about 10 minutes, a pot of boiling water, and a frying pan!
Here’s how to make our spicy calabrian chili gnocchi:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and boil until they’re soft and float to the top of the pot, about 3 to 4 minutes. You can check if they’re done by lightly pressing on one with a fork – if it gives a little, they’re ready!
- In the meantime, heat the cooking olive oil and minced garlic in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute or so.
- Next, use a large spider strainer or slotted spoon to transfer the cooked gnocchi to the frying pan. Stir them around in the oil and garlic until they’re coated, and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes until they’re lightly crisped.
- Stir in the chopped calabrian chili peppers and red wine vinegar until the gnocchi are completely coated. Then, add the extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt, stir to coat, and remove from heat.
- Serve gnocchi hot, topped with grated parmesan cheese.
The beauty of this recipe is that the “sauce” comes together quickly with oil, vinegar, garlic, calabrian chili peppers, and a little bit of the pasta water left on the gnocchi as you transfer them to the frying pan. Gnocchi itself is a heavy dish – and the spicy sauce packs a punch – so a light coating with a few high-quality ingredients is just about perfect.
Note: It’s easy to scale this recipe for two and make it for 4, 6, 8, or any number of people!
Our spicy calabrian chili gnocchi is the perfect easy recipe for any occasion. Made with simple ingredients and basically zero effort, you can confidently make this gnocchi for:
- An easy weeknight dinner when you want to be eating in under 15 minutes
- A romantic date night at home
- A dinner party with friends who love spicy food
We recommend serving spicy gnocchi with a side of fresh bread and dipping oils. Not only is this a delicious side dish for any Italian meal, but it’s also necessary for cooling your mouth down between bites of this spicy gnocchi!
Try our spicy calabrian chili gnocchi recipe and don’t forget to rate, comment, and share if you love it. For more easy pasta dinners, click here.
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Goat Cheese & Tomato Gnocchi
- Easy Baked Gnocchi For 2
- Italian Sausage & Peppers Pasta
- Shakshuka Pasta
- Spaghetti Carbonara (No Egg)
Spicy Calabrian Chili Gnocchi
- Spider strainer or slotted spoon
- 1.1 lb gnocchi
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped calabrian chili peppers in oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Grated parmesan cheese for serving
- First, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and boil until they're soft and float to the top of the pot, about 3 to 4 minutes. To check if they're done, gently press on one with the back of a fork – it should give slightly under the pressure.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil and minced garlic in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the cooked gnocchi to the frying pan using a large spider strainer or slotted spoon, to drain excess water as you take them out of the pot. Stir the gnocchi to coat with the olive oil and garlic, and cook until lightly crisped, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Next, stir in the chopped calabrian chili peppers and red wine vinegar until the gnocchi are evenly coated. Then, stir in the extra virgin olive oil and salt, and remove from heat.
- Serve gnocchi immediately, topped with grated parmesan cheese.