This easy recipe for sheet pan chicken fajitas is healthy, tasty, and only takes 20 minutes! It makes the perfect weeknight dinner served with warm tortillas and fresh guacamole.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
We’ve been pretty busy lately, so we’ve been looking for easy ways to make our weeknight dinners a bit quicker and simpler – without sacrificing nutrition. In the past, we’ve fallen into the trap of ordering takeout whenever we were too busy or too tired to cook. And while that’s not a bad option every once in a while, it can quickly become a habit that’s detrimental to our health and our wallets (because who orders healthy food for takeout?).
So we obviously turned to one of our favorite cuisines and thought, what can we do to make taco night even easier and more nutritious? The answer was easy: sheet pan chicken fajitas.
Chicken fajitas are like the healthy older sibling of chicken tacos. They’re full of lean protein, tasty vegetables, and generally not a whole lot else – maybe some guacamole and shredded cheese. They’re simple yet full of flavor, and even though they look fancy they’re basically chicken tacos with extra veggies. So they’re the perfect alternative for shaking up Taco Tuesdays!
Traditionally, the fajita chicken, peppers, and onions would be grilled and served in a hot cast iron pan with tortillas and toppings on the side. Growing up, my mom used to either bake or grill the chicken and sauté the peppers and onions on the stove, so that’s how I’ve always made them. But I figured if you’re baking the chicken, then you might as well bake the vegetables too – and while you’re at it, why not throw it all on one pan?
So Alex and I tried our sheet pan version of chicken fajitas, using a blend of our favorite seasonings and some fresh lime juice, and it was the perfect easy, tasty weeknight dinner.
Here’s how to make our easy sheet pan chicken fajitas:
- Prep the seasoning blend
- Slice the peppers and onions
- Lay the chicken tenders*, peppers, and onions out on a sheet pan and sprinkle with the seasoning blend
- Finish with lime juice, salt, and pepper
- Bake until cooked through
- Slice the chicken
- Serve with warm tortillas and toppings!
Note: Raw chicken can sometimes be extra juicy, so try to let as much excess liquid drip off the chicken before it goes onto the baking sheet. (You can even try patting it dry with paper towels if it’s extra gross). This will prevent the peppers and onions from getting soggy while they cook.
There are so many reasons why we love making these 20-Minute Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas:
- One baking sheet = only one pan to clean after dinner (or no pans to clean, if you line it with foil like we do!)
- Cooking the peppers and onions with the chicken means extra flavor from all the seasonings you would normally only put on the chicken
- We had 15 minutes of hands-off cooking time to prep the guacamole and tortillas, and relax a little
- The entire meal took only 20 minutes to make
- Chicken fajitas are delicious, healthy, and filling!
This recipe really was the perfect solution for a quick dinner on busy weeknights. The fact that it only took 20 minutes and required virtually zero cleanup was amazing in and of itself, but made even better by how tasty it was. You can never go wrong with chicken fajitas for an easy, healthy, yet filling meal – and our 20-minute sheet pan recipe makes fajita night easier than ever.
Try the recipe below and let us know what you think in the comments!
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these other recipes, too:
- Salsa-Marinated Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga
- Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Carne Asada Tacos with Avocado Lime Crema
- Chicken Tinga Tostada Recipe
Like this recipe? Don’t forget to share it and follow us on Pinterest!
20-Minute Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 lb raw chicken tenders*
- 1 medium bell pepper
- ¼ large red onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground red cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp Mexican oregano
- ½ fresh lime juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- For serving: warm flour tortillas, Homemade Guacamole*, shredded cheese, hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with foil.*
- Combine seasonings in a small bowl and set aside: garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, ground red cayenne pepper, Mexican oregano.
- Thinly slice bell pepper and red onion.
- Lay the chicken tenders out on the baking sheet, then fill in the empty spaces between the tenders with peppers and onions.
- Sprinkle the seasoning blend evenly over the chicken and veggies.
- Squeeze the juice from half a lime over the chicken and veggies, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Slice chicken and serve over peppers and onions with warm flour tortillas and additional toppings (Homemade Guacamole, shredded cheese, hot sauce).
If you have any questions regarding the information presented in this post, please refer to our Nutrition Disclaimer here.
Looking for kitchen inspiration? Head over to our shop to see what we cook with every day, plus recommendations for foodie gifts and eco-friendly products.
We made these tonight. Quick, easy, and delicious!
Glad you enjoyed them!