This hot and cheesy 4 layer Mexican dip is our go-to appetizer for gatherings with friends and family.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
It’s getting to be that time of year again where we spend more nights indoors, watching football games or gathering with friends and family for game nights and movie marathons. Each of these scenarios calls for one thing in common: a shareable dish of 4 layer Mexican dip.
Our go-to hot Mexican dip is layered with creamy, cheesy, and savory ingredients: cream cheese, chili, shredded cheese, and jalapenos. When you scoop into these 4 delicious layers with a salty tortilla chip, this dip just hits different. It’s the ultimate combination of gooey and salty that you just can’t stop devouring!
This recipe is a dressed-up version of a family favorite (3 layer dip) that we added a spicy layer of jalapenos to. I’m not positive where the original recipe came from, but a family friend of ours would make it every time we got together to watch the Patriots game. We all loved it so much that my sister and I both took the recipe to college, and then it quickly became a game night staple.
Since this Mexican layer dip has been central to so many of our favorite memories, we figured it was about time to share it here! Next time you need an appetizer or snack for a cookout, game night, movie night, or the Super Bowl, try making this crowd-pleasing 4 layer dip. We promise it’ll be a hit.
4 Layer Mexican Dip Ingredients
You can make our layered Mexican dip recipe with just 4 simple store-bought ingredients:
- Cream cheese
- Hormel No-Bean Chili
- Shredded Mexican blend cheese
The Hormel chili acts like a super saucy ground beef filling in this hot layered dip, which creates a flavor that’s reminiscent of tacos! (Which is also why our friends have always called this “taco dip”).
Make sure to let the cream cheese sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before you make this dip. It needs time to soften so that you can easily spread it into the bottom of a baking dish.
How To Make 4 Layer Mexican Dip
Hot layered Mexican dip is one of the simplest party appetizers you can make, requiring just 4 ingredients and 30 minutes! Here’s how to make our 4 layer Mexican dip recipe:
- First, spread softened cream cheese into an even layer on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Next, add the no-bean chili. Spread this out into an even layer as well.
- Then, cover evenly with shredded cheese and top with sliced jalapenos.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips.
That’s it! It takes less than 5 minutes to assemble this layered dip, and the rest is hands-off cooking in the oven. That means you can throw this dip together just before your guests arrive, and then get to enjoy the party while it bakes.
Depending on your preference, you can either use a large, shallow baking dish (9×13 inches) or a smaller, deeper baking dish (10.5×7.5 inches, like this larger one from Staub). The difference will be thinner layers of each ingredient, versus thicker layers. Note that a thicker layer of shredded cheese on top will be more difficult to scoop into with a tortilla chip, so you may want a serving spoon handy!
Mexican Layer Dip Make Ahead Instructions
If you want, you can even make this dip ahead of time to prepare for a party or bring to a potluck. Assemble the dip as normal, then cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate until it’s time to heat it up. Bake, covered, for about 30 minutes to warm everything through. Then remove the foil and bake, uncovered, for about 10 more minutes to let the cheese get extra bubbly.
We recommend assembling the layer dip no more than 6 hours ahead of time. Any longer, and the layers may start to sink into one another as it sits in the fridge.
When To Make 4 Layer Mexican Dip
There isn’t a wrong time to make this 4 layer Mexican dip, but our favorite times always have guests we can share it with!
- Family (and friend) cookouts
- Football parties (or any game day)
- Game nights with friends
- Taco Tuesdays
- Holiday parties
- Midnight when you’re feeling snackish
Like we said, there really isn’t a bad time to have some warm, savory 4 layer Mexican dip. It’s a super easy appetizer any time you are looking for some sharable finger food or chips and dip.
So next time you’re deciding what to make for a pool party or backyard get-together, try this easy and comforting 4 layer Mexican dip. (And when everyone asks where you got the recipe, remember to point them in our direction!)
Don’t forget to rate, comment, and share if you love this recipe. Happy snacking!
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Restaurant Style Mexican Bean Dip
- Queso De Cabra Con Tomate
4 Layer Mexican Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 15 ounces Hormel No-Bean Chili
- 8 ounces shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 1 medium jalapeno sliced
- Tortilla chips for serving
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Next, assemble the dip. Start by spreading softened cream cheese into an even layer on the bottom of a baking dish. Next, add the no-bean chili, spreading it out into an even layer. Then, cover evenly with shredded cheese and top with sliced jalapenos.
- Bake until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve hot with tortilla chips.