This unique pizza recipe featuring chorizo, sweet potato fries, red onion, chipotle mayo, and cilantro is the perfect combination of savory and sweet.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Back in July, we took a trip down to San Diego and sampled lots of delicious food (trying new restaurants is one of our favorite vacation activities). Of all the places we visited, one particular meal at one incredible restaurant in La Jolla stuck with us – the Three Amigos burrito from Jose’s Courtroom.
Alex just had to order this burrito because of the unique ingredient combinations. Carnitas, chorizo, bacon, sweet potato fries, cotija cheese, guacamole, salsa, and queso, all wrapped in a burrito. Sounds kind of crazy, right?
It was delicious. I managed to steal a few bites, and it was one of the most insanely flavorful burritos I’ve ever tasted. Needless to say, we were immediately inspired by the sweet-and-salty combo of carnitas, chorizo, bacon, and sweet potato. So we began to brainstorm ways to incorporate these flavors into fun and unique recipes of our own.
Fast forward a few months, and the idea for our Chorizo Sweet Potato Fry Pizza came to life.
This is one of the most unique pizza recipes we’ve ever thought of. At first, the idea seemed pretty outrageous, but all the ingredients came together beautifully into a delicious, fun, and decadent pie.
Here’s how to make our Chorizo Sweet Potato Fry Pizza:
- Air fry some sweet potato fries and cook loose chorizo on the stove until browned
- Stretch out store-bought pizza dough
- Add a thin layer of our homemade pizza sauce
- Toss on the sweet potato fries and chorizo
- Add a few thin slices of red onion
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brush the crust with butter and seasonings
- Drizzle with chipotle mayo and garnish with cilantro
- Serve hot!
(The trick to keeping all those toppings from sliding off your pizza is to put them under the cheese!)
The combination of chorizo, sweet potato fries, and chipotle mayo is the ultimate flavor explosion. It’s salty, sweet, and a little bit smoky all at the same time. Yet each ingredient still shines on its own, so every single bite of this pizza is exciting and tasty.
We had so much fun making this unique pizza together. It’s the perfect activity for date night, sleepover parties, or a night in with family. Everyone can partake in creating this extravagant meal and walk away from the dinner table feeling full and almost satisfied… that is, if there’s enough pizza to go around! Even still, we bet you’ll want more – it’s just one of those meals that you can keep on eating, no matter how full you are.
Try the recipe this weekend and let us know what you think!
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these other recipes, too:
- Maple Bacon Jalapeno Pizza
- Chick-Fil-A Pizza
- Chicken Bacon Ranchero Pizza
- California Veggie Pizza
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Like this recipe? Don’t forget to share it and follow us on Pinterest!
Chorizo Sweet Potato Fry Pizza
- ⅓ lb ground chorizo cooked
- 6 to 8 oz sweet potato fries
- 1 lb pizza dough*
- ½ cup pizza sauce*
- ⅓ lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- Red onion sliced thinly
- Fresh cilantro de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- Chipotle mayo*
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Sea salt
- First, cook the ground chorizo in a frying pan over medium-high heat until browned, about 8 minutes, breaking the meat up as it cooks.
- In the meantime, cook the sweet potato fries in the air fryer until crispy, about 10 to 12 minutes at 360 degrees F.
- Next, preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly flour your hands and a 14-inch round pizza pan.
- Then, assemble the pizza. Stretch the dough until it fits the pan, using gravity to help you.* Spread the pizza sauce onto the dough in a thin, even layer, leaving about a quarter- to a half-inch of the edge uncovered for the crust. Next, top the pizza with cooked sweet potato fries, cooked chorizo, and sliced red onion. Finally, sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over the pizza.
- Brush the crust with melted butter, then season lightly with garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
- Finally, drizzle the pizza with chipotle mayo and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot.
If you have any questions regarding the information presented in this post, please refer to our Nutrition Disclaimer here.
Looking for kitchen inspiration? Head over to our shop to see what we cook with every day, plus recommendations for foodie gifts and eco-friendly products.