Crispy, savory buffalo chicken rangoons you can make in the air fryer! The perfect snack for Super Bowl parties and game days.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Looking for the perfect game day appetizer to add to your Super Bowl spread this year? Stop your search now and make these crispy air fryer buffalo chicken rangoons. You won’t regret it.
With a crispy wonton shell and a spicy buffalo chicken dip-inspired filling, these rangoons are the perfect combination of crunchy and creamy, all wrapped up into dippable, bite-size finger foods you can easily snack on during the big game. Serve them with our 4-ingredient buffalo ranch dip and you’ve got an irresistible party snack!
What Are Buffalo Chicken Rangoons?
Our buffalo chicken rangoons are inspired by crab rangoons, a popular Chinese wonton filled with cream cheese and crab. These savory wonton bites are a buffalo style take on the dish, filled with a mixture of cream cheese, chicken, Frank’s Red Hot, cheese, and ranch dressing. AKA, the ultimate game day snack!
Buffalo Chicken Rangoons Recipe Ingredients
To make our buffalo chicken rangoons, you’re essentially making our buffalo chicken dip recipe, letting it cool, and wrapping it up in wonton wrappers. Super simple, yet irresistibly delicious!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this air fryer buffalo chicken rangoon recipe:
- Cream cheese
- Frank’s Red Hot
- Ranch dressing
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Shredded chicken
- Wonton wrappers
Plus, we recommend serving buffalo chicken rangoons with our 4-ingredient buffalo ranch dip for creamy contrast to the crunchy, crispy wonton wrappers. Here’s what you’ll need for the dipping sauce:
- Ranch dressing
- Frank’s Red Hot
Note that you’ll need shredded, cooked chicken to make this recipe. You can either boil it in a pot of salted water for about 10 minutes, simmer (covered) in a pot of salted water for about 20 minutes, prepare it in an Instant Pot, or use a rotisserie chicken. Go with whatever method fits your schedule and needs.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Rangoons
Making buffalo chicken rangoons (or wontons) is a 2-step process. You’ll need to plan ahead and start preparing the ingredients at least a few hours ahead of time.
Part one: Make the buffalo chicken rangoon filling (do this plenty early so it has time to cool). Here’s how:
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Next, combine the softened cream cheese, Frank’s Red Hot, ranch dressing, shredded cheddar, and shredded chicken in an oven-safe baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes, then stir until evenly combined.
- Let the filling cool at room temperature for about 1 hour. Then, refrigerate for at least 2 hours. You want it to be cold enough to easily scoop into the wonton wrappers later on.
Since you need the filling to be cold, you can easily complete this first part of the recipe a day or two in advance. When you’re ready to make the wontons, simply use the prepared filling straight from the refrigerator.
Once the filling is cold, you can move onto part two of making buffalo chicken rangoons: folding and cooking!
Prepare your work station: Fill a small bowl with water and set it on the table. Lay out a large sheet of parchment paper to work on, and open the package of wonton wrappers. Dampen a paper towel and use it to cover the stack of wonton wrappers – you want them to stay moist so they don’t crack when you try to fold the wontons.
Next, wrap the buffalo chicken rangoons into a classic wonton shape. Here’s how:
- First, dip your finger into the bowl of water and dampen the outer edges of a single wonton wrapper.
- Then, spoon about 1 tablespoon of the filling into the center of the wrapper.
- Next, gently pick up opposite corners of the wrapper, pinching them together in the center. Repeat with the remaining corners until all 4 corners are pinched together.
- Finally, seal the edges closed by pinching them together between your fingers, making sure all 4 edges are completely sealed.
- Set aside, and cover with a dampened paper towel to keep moist while you continue folding the rest of the wontons.
In the meantime, preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F and generously spray the basket with vegetable oil. Once you have a few wontons folded, you can start cooking them in batches. We can usually fit about 5 or 6 at a time in our 3-quart air fryer basket.
Here’s how to cook buffalo chicken rangoons in the air fryer:
- Add the buffalo chicken rangoons to the air fryer basket in a single layer, leaving at least an inch of space between them.
- Spray generously with vegetable oil.
- Cook for about 8 minutes, or until crispy.
Finally, let the rangoons cool for at least 5 minutes before serving so you don’t burn your mouth. Serve with buffalo ranch dip (details in the recipe card below), ranch dressing, or blue cheese and enjoy!
Storing & Reheating Buffalo Chicken Rangoons
Although they taste best when cooked fresh, you can store any leftover buffalo chicken rangoons in the fridge for up to 4 days. Make sure to put them in an airtight container.
For crispy results that will taste almost just like you made them fresh, reheat the buffalo chicken rangoons in the air fryer at 350 degrees F. Remember to spray the basket generously with oil, and spray the tops of the rangoons with oil again, too (this helps them crisp). Cook for about 5 minutes, let cool for at least 3 minutes, and enjoy!
When To Serve Buffalo Chicken Rangoons
You’ll want any excuse to make these savory buffalo chicken rangoons! They’re one of the best Super Bowl snacks we can think of – spicy, salty, and poppable (and they go great with a beer). Serve them at any party alongside these other finger foods for a delectable restaurant style spread your guests will love:
Try our easy recipe for buffalo chicken rangoons and you won’t be disappointed! Please rate, comment, and share below to let us know what you think of this decadent game day snack.
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- Cheeseburger Egg Rolls with Sriracha Mayo
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- 4-Ingredient Avocado Chorizo Spring Rolls
- Pork Dumplings
Buffalo Chicken Rangoons
Buffalo Chicken Rangoons
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In an oven-safe baking dish, combine the chicken, cream cheese, Frank's Red Hot, light ranch dressing, and shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, then stir until well-combined and let cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Refrigerate the buffalo chicken filling for at least 2 hours until it's cold enough to hold its shape when scooped with a spoon.
- Once the filling is cold, prepare to fill the wontons. Fill a small bowl with water and set it on the counter where you'll work, and lay out a large sheet of parchment paper. Open the package of wonton wrappers and cover the stack with a dampened paper towel to keep them moist as you work.
- Now, fold the wontons. First, dip your finger into the bowl of water and dampen the outer edges of a single wonton wrapper. Then, spoon about 1 tablespoon of the buffalo chicken filling into the center of the wrapper. Next, gently pick up opposite corners of the wrapper, pinching them together in the center. Repeat with the remaining corners until all 4 corners are pinched together. Finally, seal the edges closed by pinching them together between your fingers, making sure all 4 edges are completely sealed.Set aside and cover with a dampened paper towel to keep moist while you continue folding the rest of the wontons.
- In the meantime, preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F and spray the basket generously with vegetable oil. Add a batch of folded wontons to the basket, spray the tops generously with vegetable oil, and cook for about 8 minutes or until crispy.Cook the wontons in batches – 5 or 6 at a time, in a single layer, with at least an inch of space between them – for optimal air flow.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes. Serve with buffalo ranch dip (instructions below), ranch dressing, or blue cheese dressing.
Buffalo Ranch Dip
- Whisk together ranch dressing, Frank's Red Hot, and melted butter in a small bowl until well-combined. Season with a pinch of salt, to taste, and serve.