What’s better than a grilled cheese? A grilled cheese stuffed with a delicious burger patty, red onions, and chipotle mayo – the grilled cheese patty melt.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
First off, Happy Halloween! Although October’s burger has nothing to do with candy (maybe next year!), it makes a great warm and gooey fall dinner.
By taking one of our favorite “whatever night” dinners, the classic grilled cheese, and combining it with a patty melt style burger, we created this Frankenstein of a sandwich: the Grilled Cheese Patty Melt.
And we promise there are no tricks here, this is a pure treat!
While a patty melt can greatly vary from one place to the next, there always needs to be a couple key ingredients to be considered a true patty melt:
- Crispy, toasted bread for a bun
- A sauce to add some moisture and an extra bite
- Something for the crunch (think onions, pickles, or even bacon!)
- And cheese
Oh, and that cheese must be extremely melty.
Our twist on a classic patty melt starts with a sourdough grilled cheese, which means plenty of melted cheese and perfectly toasted bread for the base of our burger. That grilled cheese is then opened up and stuffed with a cooked patty, red onion slices, and chipotle mayo, before being closed back up. And frankly, I don’t know why a patty melt is ever made any other way.
Here are some tips for making our Grilled Cheese Patty Melt:
- Start with high quality sourdough, the bread really makes this sandwich.
- Hand shape the patty to better fit the bread.
- Everyone has their preference on how to make the perfect grilled cheese, don’t be afraid to make this step your own!
- Don’t worry about deconstructing your carefully crafted grilled cheese, it’s absolutely worth it!
- When closing the patty melt back up, press down on the top to spread the chipotle mayo evenly.
- Cut the patty melt in half just like a grilled cheese to make it more manageable.
And there you have it. A rich-gooey-warm-slightly-spicy-grilled-cheese-turned-patty-melt.
And if that isn’t enough to make you want to try this recipe, this fall burger is a perfect addition to your Oktoberfest celebration. We paired our meal with our local German Brewery’s Bavarian-style Hefeweizen: Enegren’s Schöner Tag. Along with this crisp and refreshing beer, a side of waffle fries (arguably the best side a burger can have) completes a delicious, warm, and comforting meal perfect for a fall night.
We hope you try our twist on a classic patty melt this fall! If you do, be sure to share it with us on Instagram and mention @candidcooksblog or tag #rich-gooey-warm-slightly-spicy-grilled-cheese-turned-patty-melt!
Grilled Cheese Patty Melt Burger
How To Assemble The Grilled Cheese Patty Melt
- Prepare our Classic Burger Patties. Hand-shape each patty to roughly the size of your sourdough bread slices, and flatten slightly.
- Prepare the Grilled Cheese sandwiches. First, butter one side of each slice of sourdough. Then assemble two sandwiches: place two slices of sourdough on a griddle or skillet (butter side down), top each with 3 slices of yellow American cheese, then place the other two slices of sourdough on top (butter side up). Cook over medium-low heat until cheese is melted and bottoms are golden-brown, then flip and cook until the other side turns golden-brown.*
- While the grilled cheese sandwiches are cooking, grill the burger patties according to your preferred method, until desired doneness.
- Transfer grilled cheese sandwiches to plates. Carefully open each grilled cheese and transfer cooked burger patties to the sandwiches.* Top with sliced red onions and a drizzle of chipotle mayo, then close the grilled cheeses.
- Serve immediately with your favorite side, a cold beer, and enjoy!*