This easy, 3-ingredient burger made with mozzarella, avocado, and tomato is a slightly healthier way to indulge in a restaurant favorite.Jump to Recipe
In April Nicole and I got a little carried away with the comfort food… It was just one of those months. We posted about our Spaghetti Carbonara and wine and cheese night, while also working hard to create new recipes for you including buffalo chicken mac n’ cheese and burritos with homemade ranchero sauce. So after a long week of cooking and a couple heavier meals, we decided to go healthier and lighter for our Burger of the Month with a mozzarella burger.
Well, as light and healthy as burgers can be.
The MAT Burger is just three simple ingredients that work perfectly together: mozzarella, avocado, and tomato. Throw them on top of our Classic Burger Patty and a soft hamburger bun, and you have yourself a quick and easy dinner.
That’s all there is to it, but here are three quick tips to help your burgers turn out just like ours:
- We cook on cast iron, so it’s important to get consistently-sized, well-packed patties. That’s why we use the Cuisinart Stuffed Burger Press to form our patties.
- It is important to get the mozzarella on the patty as soon as you flip it to give it enough time to melt. I even cover the pan with another cast iron skillet to make sure the cheese is super melty.
- Although topping the burger with slices of avocado may look nicer, it makes it very difficult to eat. We like to mash our avocado and spread it on the bottom bun for a slightly cleaner meal.
And as always, no burger is complete without a side and a local beer. This week we air-fried some crispy Alexia Sweet Potato Tots and enjoyed a Dos Topas Lager from right down the street by Topa Topa Brewing Co. A crisp lager and sweet potato tots were the perfect complement to this light burger.
We hope that you will give this burger a try and wash it down with a local light lager of your own!
Mozzarella Avocado Tomato (MAT) Burger
- 2 Classic Burger Patties*
- 2 burger buns
- 2 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices red vine tomato
- 1 small avocado mashed
- Prepare the toppings – fresh slices of mozzarella, red vine tomato, and mashed avocado – and set aside.
- Grill Classic Burger Patties until desired doneness, topping each with a slice of mozzarella cheese right after the burgers are flipped for maximum melting time.*
- While the burgers are cooking, spread an even layer of mashed avocado on the bottom halves of the burger buns.
- Transfer cooked patties to buns, placing them on top of the mashed avocado. Top each burger with a slice of tomato and then close the buns.
- Serve with your favorite side, a cold lager, and enjoy!*