A simple carnitas torta recipe with refried beans, queso fresco, and guacamole is a satisfying lunch or dinner with a side of chips and salsa.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Happy Cinco de Mayo! As per tradition at this point, we’re introducing another brand new Mexican recipe for this holiday: a carnitas torta you can make in less than 10 minutes with a batch of our slow cooker carnitas and spicy verde sauce on hand.
Piled high with refried beans, queso fresco, and guacamole, this flavorful Mexican pork sandwich is a simple and satisfying meal. Serve carnitas tortas at your Cinco de Mayo party or simply whip one up for lunch next time you have leftover carnitas in your fridge! With just 6 ingredients and a frying pan, it’s super easy to make this carnitas torta recipe whenever you’re in the mood.
What Is A Carnitas Torta?
A carnitas torta is a Mexican sandwich made with flavorful pork and other toppings piled on a soft roll known as telera bread. Traditionally, a torta has beans, meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, and avocado. However, our simple carnitas torta recipe features our homemade slow cooker carnitas with a spicy salsa verde, refried beans, queso fresco, and guacamole.
Carnitas Torta Sandwich Ingredients
So, what goes on a carnitas torta? Since our homemade slow cooker carnitas and spicy verde sauce are so flavorful on their own, we like to keep our carnitas torta recipe simple with refried beans, queso fresco, and guacamole.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Mexican carnitas torta recipe:
- Telera rolls
- Slow cooker carnitas (recipe here)
- Spicy verde sauce (recipe here)
- Refried beans
- Queso fresco
- Guacamole (recipe here)
Telera rolls are commonly used for Mexican sandwiches, including tortas. If you have a local Mexican grocery store, market, or bakery, you’ll have no trouble finding them. If not, you can make your own from scratch or substitute with something like French bread. Note that the best bread for a torta is a relatively flat and wide roll that’s crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
We recommend making our slow cooker carnitas, spicy verde sauce, and guacamole for the best homemade carnitas torta. However, you can simplify this torta recipe by using store-bought carnitas, salsa verde, and guacamole if you’d like.
How To Make A Carnitas Torta
Once you’ve prepared the carnitas, spicy verde sauce, and guacamole, it literally only takes 2 steps to make this carnitas torta:
- Warm the carnitas and verde sauce together in a frying pan over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Assemble the torta: Slice the telera roll in half and spread a layer of refried beans on the bottom half. Top with carnitas, then crumbled queso fresco. Spread a layer of guacamole on the top half of the roll, then close the torta.
That’s it! Slice in half if desired and serve immediately with a side of chips, salsa, and guacamole.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This simple carnitas torta recipe is one of our favorites (and will be yours, too!) for 5 reasons:
- It’s incredibly flavorful, even though it only requires 6 ingredients and less than 10 minutes to make
- You can turn leftover carnitas and verde sauce from our carnitas burrito recipe into these tortas (a win for repurposing leftovers and reducing food waste)
- You can use leftovers from a restaurant carnitas plate to make this sandwich
- For a different spin on this recipe, you can easily change up the protein with chicken tinga or carne asada and sub in ranchero sauce
- And finally, it’s the perfect way to enjoy homemade carnitas without any fuss
If you’ve never had a torta before, you’re in for a treat! Try our carnitas torta recipe and let us know what you think in the comments. Don’t forget to rate and share if you love it!
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Restaurant Style Pork Carnitas Burrito
- Carne Asada Tacos with Avocado Lime Crema
- California Burrito
- Vegetarian Black Bean Southwest Sliders
- Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme (Copycat Recipe)
Like this recipe? Don’t forget to share it and follow us on Pinterest!
- 6 oz slow cooker carnitas
- ¼ cup spicy verde sauce
- 2 rolls telera bread sliced in half horizontally
- ½ cup refried beans warm
- 2 oz queso fresco crumbled
- ¾ cup guacamole
- Combine the carnitas and spicy verde sauce in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook until warmed through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Assemble the tortas: First, spread a layer of refried beans on the bottom half of each roll, then add the carnitas. Top with crumbled queso fresco. Finally, spread guacamole on the top half of each roll, and close the tortas.
- Slice sandwiches in half, if desired, and serve immediately.
If you have any questions regarding the information presented in this post, please refer to our Nutrition Disclaimer here.
Looking for kitchen inspiration? Head over to our shop to see what we cook with every day, plus recommendations for foodie gifts and eco-friendly products.