These pub-inspired loaded baked potato tacos taste just like a loaded baked potato from your favorite restaurant, in taco form!Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Potato tacos are a concept that has eluded us – until now, that is! While we’ve eaten some good potato tacos in the past (and some bad ones), it’s been a long journey coming up with a homemade potato taco that tastes as good as some of the best restaurant ones we’ve tried. We’re excited to share that we’ve finally achieved this feat, through our love of both fusion cooking and pub food! Introducing our loaded baked potato tacos.
Inspired by a dish many are familiar with – loaded baked potatoes topped with cheese, bacon, sour cream, and scallions – April’s Taco of the Month hits the spot when you’re craving savory restaurant style comfort food. These tacos legitimately taste like a handheld version of a loaded baked potato! And the best part is, they’re incredibly easy to make in just 35 minutes.
Loaded Baked Potato Taco Recipe Ingredients
Like we said, these tacos are basically just loaded baked potatoes in taco form. That means you’ll need all the classic fixings for a restaurant style baked potato – plus tortillas!
Here’s the full list of ingredients to add to your shopping list before your next taco night:
- Vegetable oil
- Russet potatoes
- Salt & pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 4-inch flour tortillas
Plain Greek yogurt makes a great substitute for sour cream if you want something a little lighter and healthier. The sour cream (or yogurt) and scallions bring a ton of fresh flavor to an otherwise heavy and salty taco, thanks to the fried potatoes and bacon.
As for the tortillas, we recommend sticking with street taco sized 4-inch flour tortillas. They allow for the perfect ratio of tortilla to taco filling, and the chewy texture of a flour tortilla (versus corn) really adds to the experience of enjoying a loaded baked potato turned taco!
How To Make A Loaded Potato Taco
To make a loaded baked potato taco, all you have to do is cook the bacon and potatoes. The rest of the work is just putting everything in tortillas! That’s why this recipe is super quick and easy to make for Taco Tuesdays, or honestly any busy weeknight. It’s even great for Friday night dinner when you want something fun to eat without putting in a ton of effort.
Here’s what to do:
- Chop the bacon into bits and fry until crispy.
- Dice the potatoes, leaving the skin on, and fry in vegetable oil (or in the bacon grease) until crispy. Season them with paprika, salt, and pepper as they cook.
- Set aside sliced scallions, shredded cheddar, and sour cream for topping the tacos, and warm the flour tortillas in the microwave between dampened paper towels.
- Finally, assemble the tacos. Fill each tortilla with 1-2 spoonfuls of potatoes and about 1 tablespoon of cheddar, then top with bacon bits, a few dollops of sour cream, and sliced scallions.
That’s it! You can either assemble all the tacos before serving, or bring all the components to the dinner table for a fun build-your-own taco night. We love a DIY taco night since it simplifies prep work and allows everyone to customize their taco however they want.
We recommend following the order of ingredients laid out in our recipe – potatoes, cheese, bacon, sour cream, scallions – when assembling these loaded potato tacos. Otherwise, they can get pretty messy! The sour cream acts like a creamy “glue” on top of the filling to hold everything down and keep the scallions from going everywhere.
(But let’s be real, these loaded baked potato tacos are messy no matter how you make them. That’s just what tacos are!)
Although they’re not quite traditional Mexican tacos, these baked potato tacos still go great with a side of tortilla chips and salsa. It’s a refreshing side dish that balances out the heavier flavors and textures of potato tacos.
Or, you can go all in on the potato theme and make a side of fries or tots to go with these tacos. Whatever floats your boat!
We also recommend cracking open a beer with your loaded baked potato tacos, to truly replicate the pub-inspired feeling of these tacos! There’s nothing like digging into a decadent, cheesy baked potato and washing it down with your favorite ale 🙂
Storing & Reheating Leftovers
If you happen to have any leftovers after making these baked potato tacos, we recommend storing the ingredients separately in the refrigerator. Package up the potatoes, bacon, shredded cheese, and scallions all in their own separate containers and they’ll stay good for 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
When it’s time to enjoy round 2 (or 3, or 4) of these loaded potato tacos, simply warm the potatoes and bacon in the microwave or in a frying pan over medium heat. Heat up the tortillas as usual, and then assemble your tacos as usual with the remaining ingredients.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
These pub-inspired restaurant style loaded baked potato tacos are one of the most unique tacos you’ll ever try. If you’re already a fan of loaded baked potatoes, prepare to have your mind blown at how much these tacos taste like the real deal!
Potato tacos are a fun and easy low-effort dinner you can make for the whole family. Everyone will enjoy assembling their own taco at the dinner table – and if there happens to be leftovers, we guarantee you’ll enjoy them for lunch the next day, too! Their savory flavor and crispy-crunchy-yet-soft texture makes them simply irresistible.
Try our loaded baked potato taco recipe for a uniquely different Taco Tuesday and let us know what you think by leaving a rating and a comment! Don’t forget to share if you love this recipe, and subscribe to our newsletter here to find out what next month’s Taco of the Month will be.
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Black Bean & Chorizo Tacos with Sweet Potato Purée
- Bacon Cheese Loaded Tater Tots
- Cheeseburger Egg Rolls with Sriracha Mayo
- Cashew Crusted Fish Tacos
Like this recipe? Don’t forget to share it and follow us on Pinterest!
Loaded Baked Potato Tacos
- 8 pieces bacon
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 small russet potatoes diced into quarter-inch cubes, skin on
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 4 scallions sliced
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 oz sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 12 4-inch flour tortillas
- First, chop the bacon into small chunks and fry over medium-high heat until crispy, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a dish lined with paper towels to drain excess grease and set aside.
- Next, heat vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the diced potatoes and season with paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook until crispy, stirring occasionally, about 10 to 15 minutes, then set aside.Alternatively, you can cook the potatoes right in the bacon grease and skip the vegetable oil. (This also means one less dirty pan to clean!)
- Next, warm the tortillas between dampened paper towels in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or until soft and pliable.
- Finally, assemble the tacos. Fill each tortilla with 1-2 spoonfuls of potatoes and 1 tablespoon of shredded cheddar, then top with bacon bits, a few dollops of sour cream (or Greek yogurt), and scallions. Serve immediately.
If you have any questions regarding the information presented in this post, please refer to our Nutrition Disclaimer here.
Looking for kitchen inspiration? Head over to our shop to see what we cook with every day, plus recommendations for foodie gifts and eco-friendly products.