These unique black bean and chorizo tacos feature a mashed sweet potato purée inside corn tortillas for sweet, savory, and spicy flavor.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
The best part about Taco Tuesday is it comes around every week! However, that also means you need a way to spice it up every once in a while. Enter our black bean and chorizo tacos with sweet potato purée! While this may not be your traditional taco filling, it has all the necessary flavors. Sweet, spicy, savory, fresh, and perfect paired with homemade tortillas! These black bean chorizo tacos are the perfect new recipe for you to try this week.
Black Bean Chorizo Tacos Ingredients
These unique tacos feature a creamy sweet potato purée with a simple mixture of ground chorizo and black beans, topped with raw onion, fresh cilantro, and lime juice. Since chorizo is so flavorful on its own, you’ll only need a few ingredients to make these tacos.
Here’s everything you’ll need to make chorizo black bean tacos with mashed sweet potato purée:
- Sweet potato
- Ground chorizo
- Black beans
- Red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Corn tortillas
Canned black beans work great for this recipe; just drain and rinse them before using. We also recommend using freshly made corn tortillas for chorizo black bean tacos – they’re so flavorful and provide a nice contrast in texture to the creamy sweet potato.
How To Make Chorizo Black Bean Tacos With Sweet Potato Purée
With just two main components to this dish, these chorizo sweet potato black bean tacos are super easy to make and assemble:
- Make the sweet potato purée. Peel and slice a sweet potato into 2-inch chunks, then boil until soft. Drain the potatoes, transfer them to a bowl, and then mash them with a fork or potato masher. Finally, whip the potatoes with butter and milk using a hand mixer, and season with salt to taste.
- Make the chorizo and black bean taco filling. Cook the chorizo in a frying pan over medium-high heat until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and add black beans, and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute.
- Assemble the tacos. Warm corn tortillas on a cast iron skillet, then fill each tortilla with a layer of sweet potato purée before adding the chorizo and black bean filling. Top with raw onion, cilantro, and a lime squeeze and enjoy!
Tip: Whip the sweet potatoes with enough butter and milk to make them super creamy. Use the amounts in our recipe as a guideline, but don’t be afraid to adjust these two ingredients to achieve the right texture! Amounts will vary based on the size of your sweet potato.
Storing & Reheating Leftovers
Store the sweet potato purée and the black bean & chorizo taco filling separately in air-tight containers. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat the sweet potato purée in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time (stirring between intervals) until warm. You can also reheat the chorizo black bean taco filling in the microwave, or in a frying pan over medium-low heat.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This recipe is a fun twist to add variety to your Taco Tuesdays! While black beans and chorizo may be common ingredients, mashed sweet potato adds unique flavor and texture to this non-traditional taco.
Adding sweet potato purée provides the sweet and creamy balance to the savory and spicy chorizo and black bean taco filling. These fresh fun ingredients create a delicious and unique taco that will please the whole family.
Try the recipe below and let us know what you think of this unique taco by leaving a rating and a comment. If you are looking for more inspiration for spicing up your Taco Tuesdays check out some of our other Taco of the Month recipes here along with our favorite Mexican meals and sides!
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Carne Asada Tacos with Avocado Lime Crema
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Cashew Crusted Fish Tacos
- Taco Bell Cheesy Gordita Crunch
- Spicy Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
Black Bean and Chorizo Tacos with Sweet Potato Purée
- 1 small sweet potato
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ lb ground chorizo
- ½ cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 12 4-inch corn tortillas
- ¼ small red onion diced
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime quartered
- First, make the sweet potato purée. Peel and slice the sweet potato into 2-inch chunks, and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and boil until tender, about 15 minutes, then drain and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Roughly mash the sweet potato and then add butter and milk. Whip with a hand mixer on low speed at first, increasing to medium-low speed as the ingredients are incorporated.* Once the sweet potato purée is smooth and creamy, season with salt and set aside.
- Next, make the taco filling. Cook the chorizo in a frying pan over medium-high heat until browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, then add the black beans and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute.
- Finally, assemble the tacos. Warm corn tortillas on a cast iron skillet over medium heat until pliable, then fill each tortilla with about 1 tablespoon of the sweet potato purée before adding the chorizo and black bean filling.
- Top tacos with raw onion and fresh cilantro, then finish with a lime squeeze. Serve immediately.