Need a quick and healthy breakfast? This maple brown sugar oatmeal cooks in under 10 minutes for an easy and satisfying start to your day.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Here’s a hot take: breakfast can be one of the most challenging meals. Not because it’s complicated or involved like dinner – but because it seems nearly impossible some days to find the time and energy for making a filling, nutritious, and tasty breakfast. Sound familiar? Then let our maple brown sugar oatmeal come to the rescue.
This simple oatmeal recipe with maple and brown sugar is healthy, delicious, and such a good breakfast topped with fresh fruit or nuts! You can make it in less than 10 minutes, either on the stove or in the microwave. And once you have a baseline for how much brown sugar and maple syrup to add to your oats, you can easily adapt this recipe to make other flavored oatmeal concoctions of your own.
Maple And Brown Sugar Oatmeal Ingredients
You only need 5 simple ingredients to make this healthy maple brown sugar oatmeal for breakfast:
- Old fashioned oats
- Maple syrup
- Brown sugar
We recommend using old fashioned oats for easy homemade oatmeal that cooks very quickly. However, you can use steel cut oats instead for added nutrition – just note that these take around 30 minutes to cook, versus 5 minutes for old fashioned oats.
We also recommend making maple brown sugar oatmeal with dark or amber maple syrup. The more natural your maple syrup is, the better flavor and texture your oatmeal will have! Highly processed syrups are extra sticky and less flavorful than pure maple syrup, and will not yield the best results.
How To Make Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
You can make this healthy maple brown sugar oatmeal in under 10 minutes. How’s that for an easy breakfast?
There are two ways you can cook this oatmeal – on the stove, or in the microwave – depending on how many servings you want to prepare at once. Microwaving is great for busy mornings where you just need 1 or 2 servings, but once you need 3 or more servings we recommend making it on the stove.
Here’s how to make maple brown sugar oatmeal on the stove:
- Add water and salt to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Then, stir in the oats and lower to medium heat.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened to your liking.
- Remove from heat and stir in the maple syrup and brown sugar until evenly combined, then serve hot.
Alternatively, here’s how to make an individual serving of maple brown sugar oatmeal in the microwave:
- In a small bowl, stir together one serving of oats, water, and salt.
- Microwave for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the maple syrup and brown sugar until evenly combined, then serve hot.
Depending on the kind of oats you use, and the number of servings you want to make at one time, the amount of water and salt needed may vary. When in doubt, follow the instructions on the container of oats for the right ratio.
You might be wondering what to add to your maple brown sugar oatmeal to make it a more filling and nutritious breakfast. Here are a few serving suggestions:
- Top your oatmeal with fresh fruit, like sliced banana
- Add nuts like almonds or walnuts for extra protein and crunch
- Mix in ground flaxseed for additional health benefits
Those are just a few of the things you can add to oatmeal for a healthy start to the day! For even more suggestions, check out this helpful list.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
No matter how you choose to make maple brown sugar oatmeal – on the stove, or in the microwave – all you have to do is saturate the oats with water, and then stir in the extra flavors. Which means you can use this recipe as a guide for making other flavored oatmeals at home, too! Simply prepare the oats as usual, then mix in whatever flavors you like.
We love that this recipe is super quick and easy to make in the morning, whether it’s a weekday before work or a quick bite on a Saturday after a run. With just 5 ingredients and less than 10 minutes of your time, you can make a healthy bowl of maple brown sugar oatmeal whenever you like.
Try the recipe and let us know what you think by leaving a rating and a comment. Enjoy!
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Dairy Free Acai Smoothie Bowls
- Veggie Omelet
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Protein Shake
- Healthy Strawberry and Banana Smoothie
Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- 1¾ cup water
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 4 tsp light brown sugar packed
- ½ to 1 tsp maple syrup
How To Make Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal On The Stove
- First, combine water and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Then, stir in the oats and lower heat to medium. Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar and maple syrup until evenly combined. Serve immediately, topped with fresh fruit.
How To Make Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal In The Microwave (Single Serving)
- To make an individual serving of oats in the microwave, combine ½ cup oats and a dash of salt with 1 cup of water in a bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes, then stir in 2 tsp brown sugar and ¼ to ½ tsp maple syrup. Serve immediately, topped with fresh fruit.