A healthy strawberry and banana fruit smoothie made with almond milk and flaxseed for delicious and nutritious flavor.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
We’re breaking out the blender more and more as summer approaches to whip up some refreshing drinks! This week, we’re sharing our go-to healthy strawberry and banana smoothie recipe. To find out why it’s the perfect blend of delicious and nutritious, keep reading.
Made with almond milk, flaxseed, yogurt, and two servings of fruit this strawberry banana smoothie is refreshing and satisfying. We love to make these before or after a workout if we’re feeling hungry, since it doesn’t leave us feeling weighed down. But there are plenty of other reasons why you would want to enjoy a strawberry and banana smoothie! Start your morning off with one of these healthy smoothies for breakfast and feel energized until lunch. Or, if you’re craving a midday snack this smoothie is a great way to fill up on nutrients instead of consuming empty calories.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Ingredients
What’s in a healthy strawberry and banana smoothie recipe? Strawberries and bananas, of course, but there are a few other ingredients that make this smoothie both delicious and nutritious:
- Frozen strawberries. Strawberries don’t stay fresh for very long, so we keep a bag of frozen strawberries in the freezer at all times for easy smoothies like this one.
- Fresh banana. We typically have fresh bananas laying around, but you can use frozen bananas if you prefer.
- Ground flaxseed. Flaxseed is a healthy addition to smoothie recipes for its nutritional value – read more on this below. It doesn’t have a ton of flavor, so you won’t really notice it in your smoothie, but your body will thank you!
- Vanilla yogurt. Vanilla yogurt adds a little extra sweetness to this smoothie without a ton of added sugar, which is a compromise we’re willing to make since we like the flavor. If you want to avoid added sugars in this recipe, substitute with plain yogurt.
- Unsweetened almond milk. Since there’s already a good amount of sweetness in this recipe from the strawberries and yogurt, we opt for unsweetened almond milk. It’s lower in calories and a little thicker than cow’s milk, which makes it perfect for healthy smoothies.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Health Benefits
Smoothies are one of our favorite healthy snacks, especially pre- or post-workout. We don’t love the flavor of traditionally “healthier” smoothies made with greens or other vegetables, though, and it can be hard to find delicious fruit smoothies that are high in nutrients but not too sugary. To ensure we struck the right balance between flavor and nutrition in our homemade strawberry banana smoothie, we researched a few simple ingredients for the recipe.
Here’s what we found out about the nutrients in our healthy strawberry banana smoothie:
- Strawberries are low in calories and packed with antioxidants. Plus, studies show that frozen strawberries are just as nutritious as fresh strawberries – so you can enjoy this smoothie all year long!
- Bananas are a great source of potassium, which is an important electrolyte that helps the body function properly.
- Flaxseed is loaded with fiber, protein, and vitamins – all good things the two of us could use more of in our diets.
- Yogurt promotes gut health and strong bones, since it contains probiotics and calcium.
- Almond milk is a low-calorie alternative to cow’s milk and is naturally rich in a number of vitamins and minerals.
Those are just a few reasons why this strawberry banana smoothie is a healthy choice for your morning breakfast or post-workout snack. Plus there are a ton of other health benefits associated with smoothies, which you can read more about here. This strawberry banana smoothie is a great way to get more fruit into your day while sipping on a refreshing summer drink. Try the recipe below and let us know what you think in the comments!
Healthy Strawberry And Banana Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen strawberry halves
- 1 small banana sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp vanilla yogurt
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Serve in a tall glass.