The best peanut butter chocolate banana protein shake recipe loaded with nutrients, perfect for a healthy post-workout breakfast.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
If you’re a fitness fanatic, chances are you might have tried incorporating protein powder into your diet. It’s a great supplement to aid in recovery after a hard workout, or add nutrition to a breakfast on the run. So today we’re sharing our favorite way to use chocolate protein powder: in a batch of delicious peanut butter chocolate banana protein shakes!
This smoothie recipe seriously tastes like dessert. It’s so refreshing after a tough workout, and feels like a little reward for working hard. But the best part is, it’s not unhealthy! Although relatively high in calories (especially if you’re drinking it in addition to your normal meals and not as a meal replacement), this shake has tons of protein, potassium, calcium, and fiber.
We think the best way to enjoy this protein shake is for breakfast, especially after a workout. It’ll keep you full all morning and give you an extra protein boost to help you recover more quickly. So if you’re looking for a delicious yet healthy breakfast protein shake, you’ve come to the right place! Keep reading to learn how to make our peanut butter chocolate banana shake.
Best Peanut Butter Banana Protein Smoothie Recipe
You only need 5 ingredients to make our peanut butter chocolate banana protein shake:
- Creamy peanut butter – We’re team Skippy all the way, but feel free to sub in your favorite natural peanut butter for an extra healthy boost.
- Banana – Make sure it’s ripe!
- Chocolate protein powder – We love this one from Optimum Nutrition for its high quality ingredients, macro ratio, great taste, and ease of mixability.
- Almond milk – Our favorite is Almond Breeze unsweetened original. Its plain flavor makes a great base for smoothies, plus the unsweetened kind is lower in calories.
- Ground flaxseed – We put this in all our smoothies and shakes since flax seed has tons of health benefits! You can read more about it here.
The blend of peanut butter, banana, and chocolate is just too good to resist! Even though this shake seems decadent, it’s packed full of protein, vitamins and minerals, and healthy fats so you’ll actually feel good about drinking it.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Protein Shake: Notes On Ingredients
Almond milk is our go-to for smoothies and shakes because it’s super creamy and low in calories (it’s also a great dairy-free option). If you can’t have nuts, we recommend trying oat milk instead. It’s nutritionally similar to almond milk, and slightly creamier, so it’s a great substitute in this recipe.
To make two shakes, you can use one large banana or two small ones. If you only need one protein shake, just use one small banana – or use half a large banana and freeze the other half for a future smoothie! Our strawberry banana smoothie recipe uses about one small banana if you’re looking to shake up your breakfast throughout the week.
How To Make A Chocolate Protein Shake
Like any good smoothie, our homemade peanut butter banana protein shake is super easy to make. Just toss all the ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth, and serve! Try the recipe below and don’t forget to rate, comment, and share.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Protein Shakes
- 1 cup unsweetened original almond milk
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large banana sliced
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 60 g chocolate protein powder about 2 scoops
- Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Pour into 2 glasses and serve immediately.