If you’re wondering how to make hummus from scratch in under 5 minutes, look no further! This recipe uses a food processor and 7 simple ingredients for a deliciously easy hummus that tastes just like store-bought.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
If you love hummus as much as we do, you’ve probably wondered how to make your own hummus from scratch – and stop spending so much money on this delicious spread at the grocery store. Well, fear not! We’ve created an easy, healthy, budget-friendly homemade hummus recipe you can replicate with just a food processor and 7 ingredients.
Don’t get me wrong, store-bought snacks are a lifesaver. It’s awesome that you can walk into the grocery store, pick up a tub of hummus or salsa or whatever else you’re craving, and bring it home to snack on immediately. But sometimes it’s worth putting in a little bit of effort to make these things from scratch – especially if a sizeable portion of your grocery budget is dedicated to hummus 🙂
Our favorite store-bought hummus brand is Cedar’s since it tastes so fresh and healthy. To recreate our favorite snack at home, we did a ton of research on the different methods and ingredients that go into making hummus. After some trial and error (as in, a few too many oily batches that tasted like sesame), we landed on a speedy method and a few simple ingredients. This makes our hummus super easy to whip up at home in just a few minutes!
Homemade Hummus Ingredients
There are three main ingredients in hummus:
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Extra virgin olive oil
For additional flavor, we included four more easy ingredients in our homemade hummus recipe:
- Lemon juice – a bit of acid to counteract the olive oil
- Minced garlic – provides some depth of flavor
- Cumin – the secret ingredient to the best homemade hummus!
- Salt – to add a little oomph to the flavors
For the chickpeas, we simply use canned garbanzo beans. They only cost about 99 cents at the grocery store and are always in our pantry, so we can make a batch of this hummus whenever the craving hits!
The best homemade hummus recipes are made with tahini – it’s what gives hummus its smooth, creamy texture (plus it provides additional vitamins and minerals, for added health benefits!). So definitely don’t skip out on this ingredient.
How To Make Hummus At Home
The easiest, quickest way to make hummus at home is to use a food processor! While our hummus may not have the depth of flavor some recipes provide by steaming the chickpeas, this is the best way to make hummus if you’re looking for quick and easy store-bought flavor. It only takes 5 or so minutes, and you’ll end up with a big batch that will last you all week.
Here’s how to make hummus from scratch in a food processor:
- Drain the garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid in a measuring cup. You’ll use this later to adjust the consistency of the hummus.
- Add the garbanzo beans to the food processor, then add lemon juice, tahini, extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, and cumin.
- Pulse a few times to break up the garbanzo beans and start incorporating the other ingredients. Then add about one fluid ounce of the reserved liquid and process on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add up to one more fluid ounce of the reserved liquid, processing on medium speed until you’ve achieved the desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
That’s it! Super simple, quick, and easy homemade hummus using just your food processor and a few measuring spoons.
Homemade Hummus Serving Suggestions
This homemade hummus is the best for healthy snacking, spreading, or serving at parties! Here are a few of our favorite ways to use our original hummus:
- Dip carrots or sliced bell pepper for a healthy snack
- Dip pita chips when you’re craving something a little salty
- Serve it alongside a veggie platter, pita chips, and pretzels for a party
- Spread it on crostini for a simple party snack, topped with paprika
- Use it as a spread on sandwiches and wraps
- Spread it on a piece of multigrain toast and top with a fried egg for a healthy breakfast
- Serve it with Mediterranean chicken, rice, and fresh pita bread for dinner
There are so many ways to eat hummus, we could keep going on and on! Our homemade hummus recipe is just the best, so try it for yourself and let us know your favorite way to serve it in the comments!
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
The Best Homemade Hummus Recipe
- 15.5 oz canned garbanzo beans
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- Drain canned garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid in a measuring cup. Transfer beans to food processor.
- Add lemon juice, tahini, minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, cumin, and salt to the food processor. Cover and pulse a few times to break up the garbanzo beans.
- Add about 1 fluid ounce of the reserved liquid to the food processor. Process on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add up to 1 additional fluid ounce of the reserved liquid to adjust the consistency, processing on medium speed for another 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.*
- Transfer hummus to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.