This easy veggie omelet recipe with cheese is a quick and healthy breakfast anyone can make at home with just a single frying pan and 20 minutes.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
We’re taking it back to the basics with a veggie omelet recipe you can easily cook up for a healthy and filling breakfast. Follow our recipe and use peppers, onion, tomato, and cheese for a super simple yet flavorful vegetarian omelette filling – or use leftover veggies from your fridge for an easy shortcut! No matter what you choose to put in your veggie omelet, this tried-and-true method always yields delicious results.
Veggie Omelet Recipe Ingredients
To make this deliciously simple vegetarian omelette, you’ll need a few eggs, fresh veggies, and some shredded cheese. Here’s what we like to put in our vegetable omelet:
- 2 large eggs
- Bell pepper
- Roma tomato
- Red onion
- Shredded cheese (optional)
Two eggs make a moderately sized omelet in an 8-inch frying pan, which is a great size for breakfast for one person (especially with a side of toast and fresh fruit!). We love using peppers, onions, and tomatoes for fresh flavor, along with shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese to complement these veggies.
How To Make An Omelet With Veggies
Making a veggie omelet isn’t as hard as it might seem! We love this simplified method that requires no cooking of the vegetables beforehand and only takes about 20 minutes. Here’s how to make our veggie omelet recipe:
- First, prepare the veggies. Peppers, onions, and tomatoes should be diced, while scallions should be sliced and separated (set aside the leafy greens for a garnish).
- Next, whisk together eggs and milk. Make sure the yolks are fully broken up. Then add them to a greased frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the veggies to the omelet right away. Evenly disperse the veggies over the entire omelet, and let them cook in the eggs.
- Let the omelet cook undisturbed. Cook until the bottom of the omelet is golden-brown and crispy, and the top surface has solidified. Then, sprinkle one half of the eggs with shredded cheese and carefully fold the omelet in half, using a rubber spatula to lift from around the edges.
- Finish and serve. Lower the heat and let the cheese melt for a minute or two, then slide the omelet off the frying pan onto a plate, using the spatula to help if needed. Garnish with scallions and enjoy!
Tips For Success
- Add the veggies to the omelet right away, so they cook into the eggs. They’ll warm up and soften slightly while retaining some of their crispness, resulting in the perfect juicy texture.
- Cook the eggs over medium-low heat so the bottom of the omelet can crisp while the top surface solidifies. This technique means you can avoid flipping the omelet, which can be difficult sometimes!
- If the bottom is crisping too much and the top isn’t cooking fast enough, lower the heat to prevent burning and cover the pan with a lid. Trapping the steam will help cook the top surface much quicker.
What Vegetables Go Well With An Omelette?
If you’ve never made a veggie omelet before, we recommend using our recipe here as a guide – feel free to swap in your favorite vegetables! You can even make a delicious omelette with leftover vegetables if you’ve got extra produce in your kitchen that might otherwise go unused.
Here are some veggies that go great in an omelette:
- Peppers (any kind)
- Onions (any kind)
- Bok choy
- Roasted eggplant
- Steamed carrots
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Unlike some other vegetable omelet recipes, you don’t need to cook the vegetables before putting them into this veggie omelet. This means you only need one pan and a few minutes to dice the veggies before cooking the eggs – which also means easier cleanup after breakfast 🙂
To save yourself even more time later in the week, spend a few extra minutes dicing a whole onion, pepper, tomato, or whatever else you’re using and store the excess in the fridge. Then you can just grab prepared veggies for more omelets throughout the week, or use them in salads, salsas, and other recipes.
Try our healthy veggie omelet recipe and let us know what you think by leaving a rating and a comment. We hope you love this quick and easy nutritious breakfast as much as we do!
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
Veggie Omelet Recipe
- 8-inch frying pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsp roma tomato diced
- 2 tbsp red onion diced
- 1 tbsp jalapeno diced
- 1 scallion sliced
- 2 tbsp shredded cheese mozzarella or cheddar, optional
- First, whisk together the eggs and milk in a small bowl until fully combined.
- Next, grease a frying pan with cooking spray or butter and heat over medium-low heat. Add the beaten eggs, then add the diced bell pepper, tomato, onion, jalapeno, and the lighter parts of the scallions, dispersing the veggies evenly over the eggs. Let cook undisturbed until the bottom is golden-brown and the top of the eggs have solidified, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to low, then sprinkle shredded cheese over half of the omelet. Carefully fold the omelet in half to cover the cheese, using a rubber spatula to lift up from the edges. Cook until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Carefully slide the omelet out of the frying pan and onto a plate, using a spatula to help if necessary. Garnish with remaining scallions and serve immediately.