Make this shredded chipotle chicken sandwich in about 10 minutes with a premade batch of our crockpot chipotle chicken!Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
We love a good sandwich – so whenever we come up with a new big batch protein recipe, sandwiches are the first thing we make! Recently, we’ve been meal prepping our slow cooker chipotle chicken to save us some cooking effort during the week, and these easy shredded chipotle chicken sandwiches have been a lifesaver.
With just 4 ingredients and less than 10 minutes, you can easily throw together these warm, saucy subs and enjoy them for lunch or dinner. They go great with a side of fries or your favorite chips, and they hit the spot when you’re craving something a little spicy and comforting.
Chipotle Chicken Sandwich Ingredients
Sometimes the best sandwiches are the simplest! That’s why you only need 4 ingredients to make this delicious pulled chipotle chicken sandwich recipe:
- Sub rolls
- Sliced pepper jack cheese
- Crockpot shredded chipotle chicken – recipe here
- Sliced red onion
Try to find long, soft sub rolls from the bakery section of your grocery store – these work best for our pulled chipotle chicken sandwich recipe. Alternatively, packaged rolls like these Artesano sausage rolls work in a pinch!
Prep the crockpot shredded chipotle chicken ahead of time to make these sandwiches even easier. We like to make a big batch of the chicken on Sunday and have pulled chipotle chicken sandwiches for an easy dinner that night, or eat them for lunch throughout the week.
How To Make Our Shredded Chipotle Chicken Sandwich Recipe
It’s easy to make any number of shredded chipotle chicken sandwiches in just a few minutes – especially if you make a big batch of our slow cooker chipotle chicken ahead of time. Here’s how to make these gooey, saucy sandwiches:
- Open up the sub rolls and place them on a baking sheet. Layer 2 slices of pepper jack cheese in the crease of each roll, and broil on LOW until the cheese is melted and the rolls are lightly crisped around the edges.
- Fill the sub rolls with warm shredded chipotle chicken and top with sliced red onion.
- Close the sandwiches and serve immediately!
If you choose to make the chipotle chicken ahead of time, make sure to warm it back up before adding it to these sandwiches. You can either heat it in the microwave (about 1 minute per serving, stir halfway), or in a frying pan over medium heat for about 5 to 7 minutes.
Chipotle Chicken Sandwich Serving Suggestions
Nothing goes better with a hot, saucy sub than some crispy french fries or tater tots! For dinner, we definitely recommend serving our pulled chipotle chicken sandwiches with a side of your favorite fries. If you’re making these sandwiches for lunch, here are a few lighter sides you might want instead:
- A side salad
- Kettle chips
- Crackers like Triscuits or Wheat Thins
- Apple slices
- Carrots and celery with greek yogurt for dipping
Sandwiches are infinitely customizable, so don’t be afraid to change up this recipe if you don’t have the right ingredients on hand! You can put our crockpot chipotle chicken on pretty much any bread, with any kind of cheese, and it’ll still hit the spot. Here are some swaps you can easily make for this sandwich recipe:
- Swap sub rolls for burger buns, multigrain bread, or ciabatta
- Try cheddar cheese, swiss cheese, or even provolone in place of pepper jack
- Skip the sliced red onion, or add lettuce and tomato
No matter how you serve it, a shredded chipotle chicken sandwich is a super satisfying lunch or dinner that’s easy to throw together in just a few minutes! Try our recipe and let us know what you think by rating, commenting, and sharing below.
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Chipotle Chicken Melt
- Crockpot Shredded Chipotle Chicken
- Chicken Parm Sandwich Recipe
- Carnitas Torta
Shredded Chipotle Chicken Sandwich
- 1 large sub roll
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese
- ¾ cup crockpot shredded chipotle chicken
- Red onion sliced
- First, slice open the sub roll but don't separate the two halves. Place it on a baking sheet and lay the pepper jack cheese in the crease of the roll. Broil on LOW until the cheese is melted and the roll is lightly crisped around the edges, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Next, fill the sub roll with warm shredded chipotle chicken. Top with sliced red onion and serve immediately.