Our flavorful maple bourbon burger takes “breakfast for dinner” to a whole new level with a waffle bun, homemade honey butter, maple bourbon syrup, and crispy maple bacon.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
If you don’t already know, National Waffle Day was this week on August 24th. Waffles are one of the best breakfast foods around! In honor of this special (and delicious) waffle holiday, we just had to make a breakfast burger featuring waffles as the bun for our Burger of the Month. Naturally, this meant including two other breakfast favorites that pair well with waffles, bacon and maple syrup. Introducing: the Maple Bourbon Burger!
Maple Bourbon Burger Recipe Ingredients
When coming up with new burger recipes, we always start with the ingredient we want to feature and then determine how to best complement it. For this unique burger recipe featuring waffles as the bun, it only made sense to include bacon, maple syrup, and a delicious honey butter – giving you a full diner-style waffle breakfast in the form of a burger!
Here’s a full list of ingredients in our maple bacon bourbon burger recipe:
- Eggo waffles – Yes, you read that right! Our burger recipe uses classic Eggo waffles for the perfect crispy waffle bun. (We tried homemade waffles but they quickly became a soggy mess and couldn’t hold up the weight of the burger).
- Classic burger patties – Our Classic Burger Patty recipe (here) provides juicy, savory flavor while still letting the burger toppings shine.
- Maple bourbon syrup – Inspired by the sweet yet savory Guinness glaze we made for our Guinness Burger, we crafted a homemade maple bourbon syrup for our waffle burger. The bourbon cuts the sweetness just enough to complement the savory burger patty and bacon.
- Maple bacon – Not to be forgotten, the only thing that might go better with waffles than maple syrup is bacon! We topped our maple bourbon burger with crispy pieces of thick cut maple bacon to add a little extra savory flavor.
- Honey butter – Even the best waffles need a little bit of butter, so we whipped up a thick and creamy homemade honey butter to slather on our waffle bun. This was the finishing touch our maple bourbon burger needed; the smooth and creamy texture of the butter emulates the feeling of melty cheese on a burger, with a breakfast-y twist!
Tips For Crafting The Best Burger
We have a lot of fun crafting new and unique burgers every month, and one of the things we love most about it is the creativity that goes into it. However, whether we’re turning a favorite breakfast food into this Maple Bourbon Burger, a Fourth of July celebration into the Firecracker Burger, or a Saint Patty’s day classic into the Guinness Burger, there are always a few key considerations that stay the same to ensure the best burger possible.
You can easily craft a delicious, restaurant quality burger at home if you remember these tips:
- The patty is the most important aspect of a burger. Always. Having the right seasonings and flavors to complement the rest of the toppings is a must!
- The bun should be noticed and add to the experience, but should never drown everything else out. The bun to patty ratio is very important.
- You’ll want something besides the patty to add moisture to the meal, whether it’s a sauce, a spread, or a glaze.
- A crunch is always welcome! A variety of textures keeps every bite interesting.
- Finally, there needs to be “glue” to hold it all together. We often use cheese for this, but a thick honey butter or creamy avocado are two alternatives that work well.
Last but not least, make it fun and exciting. That is the whole point of cooking after all!
This Maple Bourbon Burger might not be for everyone, but it is a fun twist on a classic breakfast burger that will surprise you – and make your mouth water, if you love breakfast (and waffles) as much as we do! We chose to pair this burger with a Coconut Guava Frutaleta from Casa Agria, a local brewery that makes amazing sours, and our favorite side: Alexia Potato Puffs. This sweet and savory maple bacon bourbon burger turned out to be one of the best breakfast for dinner meals we could’ve hoped for.
So grab a local brew, some crispy breakfast potatoes and give our Maple Bourbon Burger recipe a shot! Don’t forget to rate and share if you love this recipe and let us know what you think in the comments.
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Guinness Burger
- Blueberry Lemon Goat Cheese Burger
- Brunch Burger
- Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Appetizer
- Fried Chicken & Waffles
Maple Bourbon Burger
- 4 Eggo waffles
- 4 slices maple bourbon bacon*
- Honey Butter see ingredients below
- Maple Bourbon Syrup see ingredients below
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- 1½ tsp honey
Maple Bourbon Syrup
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp maple bourbon
How To Make The Maple Bourbon Burger
- Begin by preparing the Honey Butter and Maple Bourbon Syrup.*
- Fry the maple bourbon bacon in a skillet over high heat until crispy, turning over during cooking as needed. Transfer to a paper-towel lined dish to drain and set aside.
- Prepare and grill the burger patties according to your preferred method, until desired doneness.*
- While the burgers are cooking, toast Eggo waffles until golden brown and lightly crisped.
- Butter one side of each Eggo waffle with the Honey Butter.
- Transfer cooked patties to toasted Eggos. Top each burger with 2 slices of maple bourbon bacon and drizzle a spoonful of Maple Bourbon Syrup over them. Place the Eggo waffles butter side-down to close the burgers.
- Serve with your favorite side, a cold beer, and enjoy!*
- Combine softened butter and honey in a small bowl and stir well until fully mixed.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Maple Bourbon Syrup
- Add maple syrup, butter, and maple bourbon to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly before using.