This easy cheesy chicken quesadilla recipe featuring diced jalapenos and red onion is perfectly gooey and delicious.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Quesadillas are an integral part of my diet.
I know, I know, they’re not the healthiest. But they’re warm and cheesy, and just about the most comforting and delicious hot meal you could make yourself in under 20 minutes. Quesadillas helped me survive college, serving as a much-needed midnight snack after a late night of studying, or a quick dinner before running off to dance class. Although I’m now a full-fledged adult, I still haven’t outgrown my love of quesadillas.
Who can resist carbs and gooey melted cheese? I certainly can’t.
There are many reasons why I love quesadillas, besides their deliciousness. They’re totally customizable, which makes them a great way to use up any leftover protein or veggies in your fridge. You can dress up a simple base of tortillas and cheese with anything:
Drizzle some hot sauce or barbecue sauce inside your quesadilla if you’re feeling fancy. And you can even use whatever type of shredded cheese is in your fridge! We’ve made plenty of mozzarella quesadillas and cheddar quesadillas when we realized we had run out of Mexican-blend cheese. We even made a pizza quesadilla one time, with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni (and yes, it was delicious)!
Of all the quesadilla combinations you can make, my favorite has to be this Cheesy Chicken Jalapeno and Onion Quesadilla recipe. As the name implies, it’s simply made up of:
- Red onion
All wrapped up in a flour tortilla! Served with a side of chips and salsa (or guacamole), it’s a super easy chicken and cheese quesadilla that’s the perfect size for lunch. We use leftover Salsa-Marinated Chicken for this quesadilla because it’s so flavorful, but you can easily substitute it with plain grilled chicken for an easy alternative. Or, experiment with different proteins and veggies, using our recipe as a guide, to discover your favorite quesadilla combination!
Here’s the trick to making the perfect cheesy chicken quesadilla:
- Assemble the quesadilla before putting it on the stove so the cheese doesn’t start melting and you don’t feel rushed
- Evenly distribute the filling so that every bite is perfectly cheesy with a little bit of protein and veggies
- Cook it slow – you want to give the cheese enough time to melt before the tortilla gets too crispy
- Keep a close eye on it after flipping – the second side always cooks faster than the first side
It’s so easy to make this cheesy chicken quesadilla recipe at home! You can cook this easy lunch for yourself by following the recipe below. Or, make two servings by simply doubling the ingredients, but sandwich the filling between the two tortillas – making one “full-size” quesadilla, rather than two “half-size” quesadillas – and cut it into eighths. No matter how you serve it, this quesadilla is deliciously cheesy and packed with protein for a satisfying yet comforting meal!
Cheesy Chicken Jalapeno and Onion Quesadilla
- 1 flour tortilla 8-inch
- ½ cup shredded mexican-blend cheese
- 2 oz Salsa-Marinated Chicken* shredded
- 1 tsp diced jalapeno
- 1 tsp diced red onion
- Chips & salsa optional side
- Lay the tortilla flat on a large pan or griddle. Spread shredded cheese evenly over one half of the tortilla, then top with chicken, jalapenos, and red onion.
- Fold the empty half of the tortilla over the fillings and press down with a spatula.
- Cook over medium-low heat until the bottom is crisped to a golden-brown, about 8-10 minutes. Then carefully flip and crisp the other side, about 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer cooked quesadilla to a cutting board and slice into 4 equal triangles. Serve immediately with a side of chips and salsa.