These chorizo potato skewers are the perfect Spanish-style appetizer for serving at your next tapas night or dinner party.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
We’re big fans of Spanish tapas, so we never miss an opportunity to create a restaurant-style tapas dish at home! After indulging in a homemade tapas night a few weeks ago and revisiting some old recipes, we decided to revamp our recipe for chorizo potato skewers.
If you’ve never had tapas before, you’re in for a treat! Tapas are small dishes that are meant to be shared amongst the table – it’s basically like having appetizers for dinner. There are tons of different Spanish tapas recipes out there, from meat-based dishes to seafood and vegetarian options that usually involve potatoes or tomatoes.
These chorizo potato skewers were inspired by a recipe Alex and I found a few years ago by The Tapas Lunch Co. When the pandemic canceled our post-graduation trip to Europe, we hosted our first at-home tapas night together instead – and discovered the delicious combination of crispy chorizo, fried potatoes, and garlic aioli. These three simple ingredients come together for a juicy, savory treat in the form of our Spanish skewers that you can make in about 30 minutes.
Ingredients For Chorizo Potato Skewers
You’ll only need 6 ingredients to make our chorizo potato skewers appetizer:
- Vegetable oil
- Russet potatoes
- Spanish-style chorizo (pre-cooked links)
- Smoked Spanish paprika
- Roasted garlic aioli
You should be able to easily find pre-cooked links of Spanish style chorizo at your local grocery store for this recipe. We also recommend picking up a jar of Stonewall Kitchen roasted garlic aioli – it’s so flavorful and goes great with these tapas skewers!
How To Make Spanish Chorizo Potato Skewers
It only takes 3 simple steps and about 30 minutes to make this easy Spanish tapas appetizer: fry the potatoes, grill the chorizo, and assemble the skewers. Here’s a step-by-step breakdown to walk you through making our chorizo potato skewers:
- Add the diced potatoes to vegetable oil in a large frying pan, season with smoked paprika and salt, and fry over medium-high heat until crispy.
- Grill the chorizo to char the outside and heat it through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Then, slice into rounds, about a quarter-inch to a half-inch thick.
- Assemble the skewers: Add chorizo, then a potato cube, then another slice of chorizo to a toothpick. Alternatively, use two potatoes and one slice of chorizo between them.
- Finally, plate the Spanish tapas skewers: Spread a generous dollop of roasted garlic aioli on a serving platter, and lay the skewers down flat. Sprinkle with additional smoked paprika and serve immediately.
If the potatoes are too greasy, you can drain them on paper towels before assembling the skewers. Alternatively, use a slotted spatula to remove them from the pan while leaving the excess grease behind.
We like to grill the chorizo indoors on our cast iron grill pan, but you can just as easily cook it on an outdoor grill.
Spanish Tapas Serving Suggestions
These savory chorizo potato skewers are just one of many dishes you can make for a Spanish tapas night at home! We recommend serving them alongside these other tapas recipes:
- Pan con Tomate (it’s basically Spanish bruschetta)
- Queso de Cabra con Tomate (Spanish baked goat cheese in tomato sauce)
- Patatas Bravas (crispy fried potatoes) – recipe coming soon!
- Gambas al Ajillo (Spanish garlic shrimp)
- Tortilla Española (Spanish potato omelet)
- Red wine sangria
Our chorizo potato skewers are also the perfect easy party appetizer for sharing with friends and family. You can easily make a big batch and serve them at a cookout or holiday party. Your guests won’t be able to get enough of these bite-size finger foods!
Try our Spanish chorizo potato skewers recipe and don’t forget to rate, comment, and share if you love it. For more delicious tapas recipes, click here.
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Pan Con Tomate
- Queso De Cabra Con Tomate
- 4-Ingredient Avocado Chorizo Spring Rolls
- Spicy Chorizo Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Chorizo Sweet Potato Fry Pizza
Chorizo Potato Skewers
- Toothpicks for skewering
- Cast iron grill pan optional
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 russet potatoes diced into half-inch cubes
- 1 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 pinches salt
- 16 oz Spanish-style chorizo pre-cooked links
- Roasted garlic aioli
- First, heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add potatoes and season with paprika and salt. Cook until crispy, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the potatoes are crisped on the outside, transfer them to a bowl and set aside.
- In the meantime, grill the chorizo over medium-high heat until heated through and slightly charred, turning over once or twice during cooking. This should only take about 3 to 4 minutes per side.*
- Transfer cooked chorizo to a cutting board and slice into quarter- to half-inch thick rounds.
- Next, assemble the skewers. Add a slice of chorizo to a toothpick, followed by a potato cube, then another slice of chorizo. Alternatively, use two potatoes and one slice of chorizo between them – whichever you prefer!
- Finally, plate the tapas skewers. Spread a spoonful of roasted garlic aioli on a serving dish, then plate the skewers on top of the aioli. Sprinkle with additional smoked paprika, then serve immediately.