Make these cinnamon flavored French toast breakfast tacos for a unique and fun weekend brunch! The whole family will love them.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
When you think of breakfast tacos, you probably picture something savory with eggs, bacon, or sausage, topped with avocado or pico de gallo and cheese (like our easy breakfast taco recipe, here). These French toast breakfast tacos are the exact opposite of that! Sweet and cinnamon-flavored, with fresh bites of fruit and whipped cream, these tacos are somewhere between French toast and crêpes.
And that’s why they’re so delicious 🙂
As it gets later into the year, it’s always fun creating unique recipes for our “Of the Month” series. This month’s taco was no exception! We wanted to come up with something totally crazy, but still super tasty, and we think we hit this one out of the park.
So for anyone out there wondering if you can make French toast with tortillas, the answer is yes! All it takes is a solid French toast custard recipe, some flour tortillas, and a cast iron griddle. But if you’re going through the effort of making French toast with tortillas, we can highly recommend turning them into these breakfast tacos. Just add a little bit of fresh fruit, maple syrup, and whipped cream, and enjoy!
French Toast Breakfast Taco Ingredients
You don’t need any crazy ingredients to make French toast breakfast tacos! We used our trusty French toast custard from our Nutella-stuffed brioche French toast recipe and simply swapped bread for tortillas.
Here’s a full list of the ingredients you’ll need:
- Flour tortillas
- Maple syrup
- Whipped cream
We recommend using 6-inch flour tortillas, or even 4-inch. Anything larger gets difficult to eat, since the combination of fruit, maple syrup, and whipped cream makes the filling a little slippery.
If you’re not the biggest fan of strawberries and bananas, you can easily swap those ingredients for your favorite fruits. Whatever you typically like served on top of your French toast will taste great in these tacos!
How To Make French Toast Breakfast Tacos
Making a French toast taco is just like making French toast – only you’re going to wrap the “toppings” up inside the tortilla and eat it with your hands like a taco. (Yes, it’s a little messy, but it’s also kinda fun.)
Here’s a detailed breakdown of what to do:
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a shallow dish until well-combined.
- Preheat a cast iron griddle over medium to medium-low heat. Once it’s hot, melt butter and spread it gently around the pan.
- Working one at a time, dip a tortilla in the French toast batter, making sure to coat both sides. Let the excess drip off before transferring to the hot griddle.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- To assemble your cinnamon French toast tacos, fill each tortilla with strawberries and bananas. Top with a drizzle of maple syrup and whipped cream, and enjoy!
Depending on your stove, you may need to adjust the heat (up or down) so you don’t burn the tortillas. They’re thin, so they’ll cook much more quickly than typical French toast made with sliced bread. However, you want it to take about 1 minute or so per side, so that the tortilla has plenty of time to warm up and the custard cooks all the way through.
When To Make French Toast Tacos
These French toast tacos are perfect for weekend brunch with family or friends! We recommend serving about 2 tacos per person (if you’re using 6-inch tortillas), so this recipe will easily serve a family of 4. It also scales easily in case you want to make breakfast tacos for a larger crowd.
We think these breakfast tacos would also make a great kid-friendly breakfast, since what kid doesn’t like to eat with their hands?
When you’re looking for a sweet and unique breakfast recipe to shake things up, try our French toast tacos recipe. With lots of cinnamon, fresh fruit, and a delicious maple syrup (like our new local favorite from Silloway Maple), these brunch tacos hit the spot!
We’d love to know what you think of this recipe, so let us know by leaving a rating and comment below. Don’t forget to share if you love it, and keep up to date with all our latest recipes by signing up for our email newsletter here.
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these recipes, too:
- Breakfast Tacos Recipe
- Croissant French Toast Bake
- Nutella Stuffed Brioche French Toast
- Cinnamon Sugar Churro Bites
French Toast Breakfast Tacos
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 to 2 teaspoons butter
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas
- 20 medium strawberries cubed
- 2 medium bananas sliced
- Maple syrup
- Whipped cream extra creamy
- First, whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a shallow dish.
- Next, preheat a cast iron griddle over medium to medium-low heat. Once it's hot, melt butter on top of the griddle and gently spread it around.
- Then, working one at a time, dip a tortilla in the French toast custard. Let any excess drip off before transferring it to the griddle. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 1 minute per side, then transfer to a plate to cool. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- To assemble the French toast tacos, fill each tortilla with strawberries and bananas, then top with maple syrup and whipped cream. Serve immediately.