Instantly upgrade your weekend brunch with our Strawberry Balsamic Avocado Toast, a fresh and elegant take on everyone’s favorite breakfast featuring fresh strawberries and vanilla bean balsamic drizzle.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Avocado toast is one of our favorite weekend breakfast treats, because it tastes so indulgent yet it’s fairly healthy and nutrient-rich. While there are a ton of ways to serve avocado toast, some of which are more or less healthy than others, we recently opted for a sweet and summery take on the dish: avocado toast with strawberries and balsamic drizzle.
Fresh strawberries are one of my favorite fruits, and there’s no shortage of them where we live in Southern California. So I love finding unique ways to use them in recipes like this avocado toast, especially with specialty ingredients like this vanilla bean balsamic vinegar. Strawberries and balsamic are a classic pair that puts an elegant, gourmet twist on anything – so this deliciously sweet combo is the perfect instant upgrade to avocado toast!
Strawberry Balsamic Avocado Toast Ingredients
High quality ingredients make a huge difference in any dish, and strawberry avocado toast with balsamic vinegar is no exception. A simple meal made with fresh, perfectly ripe produce is so satisfying. Here’s what to look for when grocery shopping for strawberry balsamic avocado toast:
- Fresh strawberries. Look for strawberries that are bright red with healthy-looking green leaves. You’ll want to use them within a few days of purchasing. Or, you can store them in a produce saver to help them last longer in the fridge!
- Ripe avocado. Perfectly ripe avocados are medium to dark green in color. You can check for ripeness by gently squeezing around the largest part of the fruit; the skin should give slightly. When you cut into it, the flesh should be soft and green. A few brown spots are okay, but since avocado is the main component of this dish you want it to be as fresh and flavorful as possible! If your avocado is a little overripe, you can still use it in other recipes like our cinnamon avocado muffins.
- Just-baked bread. Soft, fresh bread makes the best toast! When toasted to a light golden brown color, it’ll be nice and crispy on the outside but soft on the inside. That’s the ideal texture for avocado toast. Easy to bite into, with a little crunch to contrast the soft avocado spread. We like to use fresh ciabatta bread for this recipe.
- High quality balsamic vinegar. Similar to olive oil, there are many types of balsamic vinegar and you’ll notice a difference in taste depending on which one you choose. For a balsamic-forward dish like this strawberry avocado toast, it’s definitely worth it to spring for a more expensive bottle! We’re also big fans of infused balsamic vinegars, like the vanilla bean balsamic we use in the recipe below. A drizzle of flavored balsamic adds extra complexity to this avocado toast, and the sweet vanilla bean complements the strawberries well.
A Note On Strawberries
The ripeness of the strawberries can alter the flavor of this avocado toast. Slightly underripe strawberries are a little sour, which balances nicely with a sweet balsamic vinegar for a light and fresh avocado toast. On the other hand, slightly overripe strawberries are juicier and sweeter. When paired with a vanilla bean balsamic drizzle, this avocado toast tastes a little more like dessert than breakfast. (We can’t complain about that, though!)
How To Make Avocado Toast With Strawberries and Balsamic Vinegar
Our strawberry balsamic avocado toast recipe is super simple and easy. In only 5 minutes, you’ll have a delicious, fresh, and upscale breakfast that’s packed full of nutrients:
- Slice fresh ciabatta bread into half-inch thick pieces and toast until lightly golden-brown.
- Spread ripe avocado flesh onto the toasted bread, smoothing out a flat surface for adding the strawberries.
- Slice fresh strawberries lengthwise and layer on top of avocado toast.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and enjoy!
The best part about avocado toast is how you can customize it to your tastes. Layer on as much (or as little) avocado and strawberries as you want. And drizzle the balsamic vinegar to your heart’s content! There’s really no wrong way to build avocado toast, especially when you have fresh, high-quality ingredients like strawberries and flavored balsamic.
So go ahead and treat yourself to strawberry balsamic avocado toast this weekend for an extra indulgent breakfast or brunch. Your tastebuds will thank you!
Strawberry Balsamic Avocado Toast
- 3 slices ciabatta bread half-inch thick
- 1 medium avocado
- 3 large strawberries
- 2 to 3 tsp vanilla bean balsamic vinegar
- Toast the ciabatta bread until lightly crisped and golden-brown.
- Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop avocado flesh onto the toasted bread. Spread evenly with a knife to create a flat surface for laying the strawberries down.
- Cut the tops off the strawberries and slice them lengthwise. Top each avocado toast with sliced strawberries.
- Drizzle about 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar over each piece of toast, then serve.