These hot and cheesy buffalo chicken sliders on King’s Hawaiian Rolls are the perfect snack for Super Bowl parties and potlucks. Make them ahead of time for an easy game day appetizer that bakes in only 30 minutes!Jump to Recipe
We’re proud to say that game day snacks are one of our specialties here at The Candid Cooks. In our house, it’s not a football party if Frank’s Red Hot isn’t involved – but we can’t exactly justify making buffalo chicken dip every weekend for the game. So we’ve taken our favorite football party snack and turned it into a snackable sliders recipe on King’s Hawaiian Rolls: cheesy Buffalo Chicken Sliders.
There’s nothing better than sharing a spread of finger foods like sliders, taquitos, and sheet pan nachos with your friends while watching the game, which is why these buffalo chicken sliders are perfect for Super Bowl parties and potluck dinners. Sliders are naturally crowd-pleasing (because how can you not love tiny sandwiches) – and since these buffalo chicken sliders are baked in the oven you can easily make them ahead of time.
Hawaiian Roll Buffalo Chicken Sliders Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make these cheesy buffalo chicken sliders:
- Shredded chicken – Bake or boil chicken ahead of time and shred it, or use a store-bought rotisserie chicken for easy prep.
- Buffalo sauce – Whisk together Frank’s Red Hot, butter, and light ranch dressing to whip up a creamy and delicious buffalo sauce.
- Cheddar cheese – Cheddar cheese is the perfect complement to buffalo sauce!
- American cheese – Sliced American cheese makes these sliders extra gooey and delicious.
- King’s Hawaiian Rolls – Hawaiian rolls are the perfect size for sliders, and we love how they caramelize a little during baking to add some sweetness to your spicy buffalo chicken.
A lot of times when we’d make buffalo chicken dip for a football party, Alex would slice open some Hawaiian rolls and just spoon it right on. It’s such an irresistible combination of sweet and savory that we just had to replicate it in these buffalo chicken dip inspired sliders! So we deconstructed the elements of our buffalo chicken dip recipe and shuffled them around for a more balanced slider filling.
How To Make Baked Buffalo Chicken Sliders
If you prepare the shredded chicken ahead of time or use a store-bought rotisserie chicken, these baked buffalo chicken sliders are ready to go in the oven after just 10 minutes of prep time. Here’s how to assemble these easy Hawaiian roll sliders:
- Whisk together Frank’s Red Hot, melted butter, and light ranch dressing to make a buffalo sauce.
- Combine shredded chicken with the buffalo sauce and stir to coat, then stir in the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Slice Hawaiian rolls in half, leaving them attached if you can (this will make it easier to evenly spread out your slider filling). Place the bottom halves in a greased baking dish.
- Spread your cheesy chicken onto the Hawaiian roll slider buns, then top with slices of American cheese.
- Close the sliders with the top halves of the Hawaiian rolls and cover the baking dish with foil to keep the buns from toasting too much during baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then serve hot.
Buffalo Chicken Sliders: Make Ahead Notes
You can make these buffalo chicken sliders ahead of time for a potluck or football party a few different ways. Here are some tips for prepping them the day of or the day before, plus notes on scaling the recipe for a crowd.
Day-of prep: You can assemble the sliders up to a few hours before serving by simply following the recipe up until baking. Wrap the baking dish in foil, then refrigerate until you want to heat them up. Take them out of the fridge while the oven preheats so they can warm up a bit, and note that you may need to increase the baking time by 10 to 15 minutes to warm them all the way through.
Day before prep: If you want to have everything ready to assemble and bake right when you get to your potluck, you can make the buffalo chicken slider filling ahead of time. Simply combine the chicken, buffalo sauce, and shredded cheese until well-mixed and then store in an air-tight container in the fridge. Then just bring the filling, Hawaiian rolls, and American cheese to the party to assemble and bake the sliders on the spot.
Scaling: You can buy King’s Hawaiian Rolls in a 12- or 24-pack to easily prepare these buffalo chicken sliders for a crowd. We find one pound of chicken works well for about 9 sliders, but you can stretch this recipe a little and use the chicken, sauce, and cheese proportions listed for up to 12 sliders. Note that you can use anywhere between 2 and 2-½ pounds of chicken for 24 sliders, and you’ll want enough American cheese to lay down a single layer across the buffalo chicken filling.
Reheating Leftover Buffalo Chicken Sliders
If you somehow end up with leftover buffalo chicken sliders (we doubt it – these things disappear fast), it’s easy to reheat them in the oven. Just put them back in an oven-safe baking dish, cover with foil, and heat at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes – just like you did in the original recipe. Or, eat them cold straight from the fridge! They’ll stay good for up to 3 days stored in an air-tight container.
We hope you love this game day slider recipe as much as we do, and check out some of our other delicious buffalo chicken recipes if you’re a fan! Don’t forget to share this recipe and leave a rating and comment – we’d love to hear what you think.
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these, too:
- Chicken Parm Sliders
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- Vegetarian Black Bean Southwest Sliders
- BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Sliders
Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9×9 baking dish.
- Slice Hawaiian rolls open and place bottom halves in the baking dish.
- Add shredded chicken to a medium bowl. If using prepared shredded chicken from the refrigerator, warm it up in the microwave for about 1 minute, stirring halfway through.
- Prepare the Buffalo Sauce: Add melted butter, Frank's Red Hot, and ranch dressing to a small bowl and mix thoroughly to combine. Microwave for 5 to 10 seconds if needed to fully incorporate.
- Pour Buffalo Sauce over the chicken. Stir well to combine, fully coating the chicken in sauce, then stir in shredded cheddar.
- Spread the chicken evenly over the Hawaiian rolls.
- Top sliders with sliced American cheese, then place the tops of the Hawaiian rolls on the sliders.*
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with your favorite side!*