Homemade BBQ pulled pork and caramelized onions will be your new favorite pizza toppings after you taste a bite of this recipe.Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates and through other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a link – at no extra cost to you. We only promote products we actually use and truly love!
Move over, barbecue chicken pizza. There’s a new savory, smoky pie to contend with here: BBQ pulled pork pizza.
While we love a classic BBQ chicken pizza, we had to create our own version with pork, because frankly, we just think it’s better. Compared to using chicken, our barbecue pulled pork adds a more complex flavor and better texture to the pizza, and it’s much easier to spread evenly across the whole pie.
One of my only complaints about BBQ chicken pizza is getting alternating bites of large chicken chunks or no chicken at all. With finely pulled pork, it’s easy to have that delicious, smoky bbq flavor in every. single. bite.
Add in some caramelized onions and jalapenos for a kick, and this BBQ pork pizza will leave even your favorite BBQ chicken pizza feeling a little bland. We do apologize… kinda.
BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza Ingredients and Toppings
As with many specialty pizzas, there are three main components: the base, the toppings, and the crust. Here are all the ingredients you need for each to make this barbeque pulled pork pizza:
- Pizza dough
- Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce (or your favorite alternative)
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Shredded mild cheddar cheese
You may use a store bought pizza dough or make your own from scratch. However, if you decide to make it yourself, choose a sturdy pizza dough as this pizza can get quite hefty loaded up with pulled pork.
You’ll also want to have some all-purpose flour on hand to stretch and shape the dough.
- Pulled pork (we recommend making our slow cooker recipe here)
- Caramelized onions
- More Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce (or again, your favorite alternative)
- Jalapeno pepper
If you’ve never made caramelized onions at home before, it’s easy! Check out our guide here on how to make perfect caramelized onions for detailed instructions and an ingredients list.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Sea salt
We love to add a little butter and seasoning to the outer edge of the crust before baking the pizza. This gives it just a little extra flavor and crisp, especially when using a store bought pizza dough.
How To Make BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza
This specialty BBQ pulled pork pizza comes together in about 30 minutes of prep time and 20 minutes in the oven. Here’s how to make it:
- First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Next, prepare the toppings. Add the pulled pork, caramelized onions, and barbecue sauce to a bowl and stir to combine, then set aside. Combine the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Then, stretch and shape the dough: Scoop some flour into a bowl and set it next to your working area. Lightly dust a large baking sheet with flour, spreading it around evenly. Then dust your palms with flour and stretch the dough, using both hands, until it is roughly the size of your pan. Use additional flour as necessary to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.
- Next, lay your stretched dough in the pan and lightly flour the bottom surface by reaching a floured hand gently underneath it, to prevent the dough from sticking to the pan.
- Then, top the pizza: Spoon barbecue sauce onto the dough a little at a time, spreading it around with the back of the spoon until the dough is covered in a thin, even layer, with about a half inch to one inch thick border uncoated for the crust. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the pizza, then top with the pork mixture and diced jalapenos. Finally, drizzle with additional BBQ sauce to your liking.
- Finally, brush the crust with melted butter and sprinkle the garlic powder, onion powder, and salt evenly around the crust.
- Bake for about 18 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Let the pizza cool for at least 2 minutes before slicing and serving.
Stretching pizza dough isn’t always easy and may take a little bit of patience. If you’re new to this, work slowly and let gravity help you out – and don’t worry if your pizza isn’t the perfect shape! Pizza of all shapes and sizes is still pizza, and it will still be delicious.
The best part of making homemade pizza is that you can customize the toppings to fit your tastes! Adjust the amount of barbecue sauce you drizzle on at the end, skip the jalapenos if you don’t like anything spicy, and add as much or as little seasoning to the crust as you’d like. These small changes won’t change the overall makeup of this pizza, and it’ll still taste incredible.
Finally, when it comes to baking the pizza, note that your oven temperature and the hydration level of the dough will impact how long it takes to cook. Keep an eye on the pizza as it bakes and use visual cues to tell when it’s done, more than relying on the time estimates in our recipe. The crust should be golden, and the cheese should be just a little bubbly and browned on top.
Why You’ll Love This BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza Recipe
Making a unique pizza recipe at home is a fun and rewarding way to change up takeout pizza night or a date night in. Pizza is a great way to get into cooking – it’s never as complicated as it looks, and you get pizza out of it. But really, by splitting the cooking up into making individual ingredients and then purely assembling the pizza to bake it, it doesn’t get much easier!
So whether you love to cook, want to get into cooking, or are simply a pizza enthusiast, this BBQ pulled pork pizza recipe is for you. Give it a try and let us know what you think in the comments. And please don’t forget to rate and share!
Love this recipe? You may enjoy these unique pizza recipes, too:
- Chick-fil-a Pizza
- Spicy Sausage and Pepper Pizza
- Chicken Bacon Ranchero Pizza
- Maple Bacon Jalapeno Pizza
BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza
- 1 pound pizza dough*
- ¼ cup flour for dusting
- ½ cup Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Sea salt
- Begin by preparing the toppings. In a medium skillet over medium heat, combine pulled pork, caramelized onions, and 1/4 cup barbecue sauce. Stir to combine and cook until warmed through, about 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together mozzarella and cheddar cheeses until combined and set aside. Gather diced jalapeno and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scoop some flour into a bowl and set it next to your working area. Lightly dust a large baking sheet with flour, spreading it around evenly. Then dust your palms with flour and stretch the dough, using both hands, until it is roughly the size of your pan. Use additional flour as necessary to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.*
- Lay your stretched dough in the pan and lightly flour the bottom surface, reaching a hand gently underneath it, to prevent the dough from sticking to the pan.
- Spoon up to a 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce onto the dough a little at a time, spreading it around with the back of a spoon. Continue until the dough is covered with a thin layer of sauce, leaving about a 1-inch border for the crust.
- Next, sprinkle handfuls of the cheese blend onto the pizza. We recommend starting from the edges and working in towards the center, using a lighter hand, and then adding more cheese where needed to fill in the gaps.
- Top the pizza with the pork and onion mixture and diced jalapenos, then drizzle with additional barbecue sauce.
- Finally, season the crust. Lightly brush the crust with melted butter, then sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, and sea salt.
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes, or until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Let cool for at least 2 minutes before slicing.
- Gently loosen pizza from the pan with a metal spatula, then slice, serve, and enjoy!